Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   Clicking sound when stopping (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/clicking-sound-when-stopping-935286/)

Supra 07-22-2004 07:57 PM

Clicking sound when stopping

So, I was giving my buddy a ride today in my '94 prelude si to show him my new GPS system. The car has fairly new brakes and rotors. He brought up the clicking sound my car makes. When I apply the brakes the car makes this sound right before comming to a complete swap. He's built many different off road vehicles, so he is one to notice this sort of thing.
After putting some thought into it I seemed to recall that this car has made the that, "click" sound for awhile. At this point I am assuming I got acclamated to it and just did not let it bother me. Now I am kind of curious what it could be. I asked him if it could be the brake lines stretching. He seemed to think that would not be the case.

Hondaaccordvtec 07-22-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Clicking sound when stopping (Supra)

Do you hear it coming from the front or rear of the car? Could be warped/out of round rotors causing the calipers to make the noise.

Supra 07-22-2004 08:04 PM

I would say pretty much for sure that it would be atleast the front. More then likely I'd have to have someone standing outside the car to hear if it also comes from the rear. My rotors/pads have about 4-6k miles in the front and 2-4k miles in the rear I would think. Maybe a little more then that in the rear.
Also, I should add that the sound is fairly loud and the car brakes fine. Previously when the rotors were worn the car would shake horribly when I went to stop. I know in my parents car the drums are, I think worn, and the braking does not feel right. I would think that would be the same with the rotors in my situtation.
Also, the braking ability of my car may have declined some. I am not sure, but I have thought to myself recently that it does not seem to stop quite as fast as it use to. Who knows if it is just my imagination or not. I can hear this clicking sound even with my stereo on.

OTT 07-22-2004 10:10 PM

Do you have grooved rotors? is so then the clicking noise you get on hard braking is the brake disk groove catching the leading edge of the brake pad. It is a common experience on grooved disks uder hard braking.
Some aftermarket manufacturers make calipers with two differen size pistons in order to stop the leading edge of the pad catching in this way.

If you do not have grooved rotors then you could possibly have an issue with the bearings in your inner CV sliding tripod joints on either side of the gearbox

Wiseguy619 07-23-2004 06:32 AM

Re: (OTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do not have grooved rotors then you could possibly have an issue with the bearings in your inner CV sliding tripod joints on either side of the gearbox</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto, jack your car up and look if you have torn CV boots.

96PreludeSi+H22Head 07-23-2004 10:36 AM

on my 96 there's some kind of metal flashing that act as a guard of some sort. well when mine was loose it caused that noise. could also happen if its bent.