Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-do-you-replace-1994-civic-ex-antenna-919247/)

dftram 07-08-2004 08:35 AM

How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna?

I need to replace the antenna on my 1994 Civic EX Coupe but for the life of me can't find the wires under the dash. There seems to be no way to get at anything. I can't even see how you can get to the back of the radio to disconnect the old wire.

I have the replacement antenna assembly (from Honda). Can anyone please give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I'm usually pretty handy but this one has me stumped. I can't see the antenna wire anywhere.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

AutoXer 07-08-2004 08:46 AM

Re: How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna? (dftram)

First, you'll have to pull out the radio deck. Take the wire from the back and disconnect. Next, tie a wire or something very securely to the end of the old antenna wire. Pull the old wire out, snaking the tied wire along with it. Sometimes it's easier with one person on each end in case it gets stuck in the body work somewhere. When it's all out, tie the new antenna cable to the wire you snaked, and pull back through.

TouringAccord 07-08-2004 08:56 AM

Your going to want to remove the radio from it's pocket to make it easier to disconnect the antenna wire. Now tie a piece of string/rope to that end of the antenna wire. Once you havetied up and it disconnected you can wiggle that end around so you can find it under the dash board. Now pull that part of it through everything under the dash board. Now go to the outside of the car and remove the assembly from the car. As you start pulling the antenna wire out try and make sure the string/rope doesn't get caught, it should come out with minimal effort. Now that you have the old one out, cut the rope and tie it to the new one. You might want to tape it to make sure it don't get snagged on anything while pulling it through. Once you have it tied and taped, go inside the car and start pulling it through. You might get a little hung up just before it comes into the foot area. If it does, just wiggle it from outside the car while trying to push it down. It will eventually drop down, if you keep pulling it while it's stuck you could damage the antenna wire. Once you have it into the foot area you can then pull the rope until it comes out in it's original spot. I did mine this way and it worked great.

It's much easier to use something to guide you back through rather than trying to feed it through everything by laying on your back and doing it by hand.

edit:
damn, I took to long to type it out.

dftram 07-08-2004 09:41 AM

Re: How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna? (TouringAccord)

Thanks for the detailed instructions. It gives me an idea as to how to approach this.

Now for the really dumb question (please don't laugh). How do I remove the radio? I can't figure out how to get at the thing. Once it's loose is there enough wire behind it to pull forward. I've honestly looked at this on and off over the past 2 weeks and just don't see how to get at it.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I've actually done quite a bit of auto work but it's usually under the hood.

Thanks again.

P.S. I saw somewhere that the speed control box has to be removed, is this true?

Modified by dftram at 12:29 PM 7/8/2004

TouringAccord 07-08-2004 11:12 AM

no problem, I got your email and have no problem with answering your questions. I'm about to leave work right now so I can't answer it right now but when I get home I'll answer your email. Give me about an hour.

jbs 07-08-2004 11:38 AM

Yes, there will be enough slack on the wires to pull your radio out.

The most important thing is what TA & EX has already said. Make sure you have a rope/string that is tied to the end of the old atenna wire so you could pull through the new one in the same way.

TouringAccord 07-08-2004 03:48 PM

Re: How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna?

ok, sorry about that. I had to do a couple things after work. I just got done emailing you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope I helped.

AutoXer 07-08-2004 03:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, sorry about that. I had to do a couple things after work. I just got done emailing you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope I helped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here, I stuck some scans from the manual in for a visual as well.

TouringAccord 07-08-2004 03:57 PM

Re: How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same here, I stuck some scans from the manual in for a visual as well.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i don't have any scans of it right now but I do have the entire manual in Adobe format that I told I could email him if he has a highspeed internet connection.

dftram 07-11-2004 04:17 PM

Thanks to all for all of the information and pictures. The cord broke but I managed to get it done just the same. Took an entire afternoon but it's finished.

If you ever get a chance please send me the Adobe file as I do have a high speed connection.

Thanks again. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

TouringAccord 07-12-2004 03:49 AM

no problem.

I'll send it to you in a little while.

alkemyst 11-08-2004 02:45 PM

Rather than create a new thread....

I have to help someone with a 94 Civic Coupe...the problem is they tried to snake the new one with the old one, but somehow the old one snapped off....now we can't get it to come out the bottom. I can snake a heck of alot of metal wire (like a coat hanger) down the hole but it doesn't come out anywhere.

Anyone got some tips? It's the girl across the streets first car and now she has no radio https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

alkemyst 11-09-2004 04:24 AM

Re: How do you replace a 1994 Civic EX antenna? (alkemyst)

anyone have any advice?

joshuajames7909 07-24-2011 09:17 PM

ok now i am confused. i purchased an antenna and plan to install it tomorrow morning but i have been researching helpful techniques for easy installation. i have a 94 civic LX and some sites tell me to remove the cruise control module beneath the dash behind the hood release to locate and disconnect the antenna wire while others say to disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio. i have removed the plastic cover under the steering wheel but i cant find it and i dont want to remove the little silver cruise control box and screw something up when i am unsure of the correct location to disconnect the broken antenna. please can someone answer asap i am getting frustrated...

virgineg6 07-24-2011 09:58 PM

Your better off starting your own thread then bringing back a 7 year old thread trying to get answers your just gonna get flamed!! Start a new thread!

gokess 03-20-2013 03:16 PM

Does anyone know where the hole is under the dash for the antenna wire to come though?
I have about exhausted my patience on this one. the string broke and now I am stuck in trying to install the new antenna, am thinking it has to be fed in from bottom under the dash up to roof, not from the roof down? Anybody have information where the hole might be so I can locate it?

Fustrated, should have used a wire instead of string, but how was I to know....

gokess 03-20-2013 03:37 PM

Would love to see a picture of where where the antenna wire comes through under the dash, a mystery waiting to be solved! &*^&%$#$