Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Motorcycles (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-motorcycles-26/)
-   -   How long is MSF valid? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-motorcycles-26/how-long-msf-valid-861422/)

Brian* 05-11-2004 08:38 AM

How long is MSF valid?

I passed the MSF last summer, but never got my license (or bike for that matter). Does anyone know how long the MSF approval lasts? I'm pretty sure it's quite a while because I did not see an expiration date on the card. Thanks

Brian

JoshRambo 05-11-2004 08:43 AM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (Brian*Blue95M3)

I would think it is good for a long time. Once you pass it thats it you don't have to retake it.

97Civic-R 05-11-2004 09:11 AM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (Gravity)

i agree..i know it's good for atleast 5years

Apocalypse 05-11-2004 10:08 AM

I think you're okay.

Road Skills Test Waiver
DMV will waive the road skills test for motorcycle license applicants who have successfully completed a motorcycle rider training course approved by Virginia. Applicants still will be required to pass written and vision tests and meet other DMV requirements.

If you have completed a Virginia Rider Training Program class <U>within the last two years</U>, bring your course completion card with you when you apply for your motorcycle license. You will not be required to take the road skills portion of your test.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/web...t.asp

Turbo Squid 05-11-2004 12:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brian*Blue95M3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I passed the MSF last summer, but never got my license (or bike for that matter). Does anyone know how long the MSF approval lasts? I'm pretty sure it's quite a while because I did not see an expiration date on the card. Thanks

Brian</TD></TR></TABLE> if am not wrong it should say on the card and i think its good for one year.

Apocalypse 05-11-2004 12:40 PM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (bLaCK_GsR)

You are indeed wrong.... see my post above.

Just an FYI, the course is put on by MSF and issues the card not the state's DMV. The DMV chooses to honor the completion of the course and therefore sets the length of time they will honor it. MSF has no control over that and therefore doesn't print an "expiration date" on the card. Other states may have some special agreement with MSF that changes this, but this is how it is in most states.

buji 05-11-2004 01:15 PM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Other states may have some special agreement with MSF that changes this, but this is how it is in most states.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it varies state to state. My card from taking msf in WA has the expiration printed on it (180 days).

Turbo Squid 05-11-2004 01:28 PM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (buji)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buji &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, it varies state to state. My card from taking msf in WA has the expiration printed on it (180 days).</TD></TR></TABLE> In cali u get 1 year.

rotten 05-11-2004 03:53 PM

I'm in washington state and mine wasn't accepted when I went to get my endorsement. It was over 180 days, but actually they recently bumped it down to 90 days. Mine didn't have an expiration date so I was upset.

What sucks is that if I had just gone and gotten my endorsement then I'd have it for like as long as I renewed my license. I don't understand why it matters how long it is before you get the endorsement, becuase your endorsement doesn't really expire and require you to take the MSF course again. It is just stupid.

Apocalypse 05-11-2004 04:24 PM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (rotten)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rotten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't understand why it matters how long it is before you get the endorsement, becuase your endorsement doesn't really expire and require you to take the MSF course again. It is just stupid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's because they accept the course as a waiver with the undertanding that you've demonstrated a certain skill set. With time, skills generally get lost somewhere in the brain and people often get rusty. They don't want to hand you a license if you haven't demonstrated the required abilities within the recent past.

F4i 05-12-2004 05:30 AM

Re: How long is MSF valid? (Apocalypse)

I don't know if this is true or not but someone told my father u can go back and retake the course for free or very little money as like a reminder course or what ever u want to call it...

Newkdog 05-12-2004 06:26 AM

I rode for the first time yesterday after taking the safety course a year ago, I was definitely a little rusty and seems like I have to learn everything over again.https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif