Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Repack Wheel Bearings (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/repack-wheel-bearings-782381/)

Nhilcrest 02-27-2004 10:08 PM

Repack Wheel Bearings

I have read a lot of people replacing there wheel bearings, and I am replacing the rotors on my 94 lx and had to remove the bearing so I figure I might as well clean the bearing out and regrease them. I have no reason to believe that they are bad. Does anyone see a problem with this?

InjectedPerformance 02-27-2004 10:14 PM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings (Nhilcrest)

Well if they have never been replaced, i would replace them. No sense in doing a job 2x. If they have been replaced in the car's life i would not change them.

InjectedPerformance 02-27-2004 10:17 PM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings (primo8998)

Also, spin the bearings. Do they make anykind of friction noise? If they do no re-packing of grease will help.

BVH 02-28-2004 08:03 AM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings (Nhilcrest)

They are sealed bearings you can't re-pack them.

BoostedH23Accord 02-28-2004 08:13 AM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings (BVH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BVH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are sealed bearings you can't re-pack them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Took the words right out of my mouth.

mwkirchner 02-29-2004 08:20 AM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings (BVH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BVH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are sealed bearings you can't re-pack them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is absolutely true. You can NOT repack them.

01silverstreak 11-19-2009 06:25 AM

Re: Repack Wheel Bearings

well that just answered my question....

nus_dogg 11-19-2009 09:20 AM

Yup, they're not service-able. You'd have to get a new set.

dhartley77 04-09-2011 09:02 PM

how about the rear wheel bearings

nus_dogg 04-10-2011 09:39 AM

^^ Same goes with the rear wheel bearing.

phootbag 04-10-2011 11:33 AM

I'm sorry but you guys are incorrect. You can pop the inner races out of a sealed bearing, clean and regrease the bearings and pop the inner races back in. The cage inside the bearing is plastic and can flex. This allows the races to be popped out without damaging anything. It's tricky, and you CAN damage the bearing assembly when doing this.

Though, there is no reason to do this. Since it's a sealed bearing, if the bearing is good, so is the grease. The only time this would be considered practical is if you are separating the hub for some reason and the inner race comes out with the hub. You can put the bearing back together without a problem assuming the bearing cage is still plyable. Other than that, I'd just leave the bearing alone.

hondamark35 04-10-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by phootbag (Post 45046103)
I'm sorry but you guys are incorrect. You can pop the inner races out of a sealed bearing, clean and regrease the bearings and pop the inner races back in. The cage inside the bearing is plastic and can flex. This allows the races to be popped out without damaging anything. It's tricky, and you CAN damage the bearing assembly when doing this.

Though, there is no reason to do this. Since it's a sealed bearing, if the bearing is good, so is the grease. The only time this would be considered practical is if you are separating the hub for some reason and the inner race comes out with the hub. You can put the bearing back together without a problem assuming the bearing cage is still plyable. Other than that, I'd just leave the bearing alone.

true. as long as the grease hasn't become contaminated it can just be reassembled and reinstalled. care must be taken with the ball and cage assemblies. the cages are flexible but if too much force is used and they break the bearing is toast. also if the inboard set and outboard set were to be mismatched upon reassembly it could ruin the pre-load and destroy the bearing.