Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-tight-should-rocker-arm-when-adjusting-valve-554169/)

hondaless 07-05-2003 06:23 AM

How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve???

Ok since i changed injectors and the timing couldn't be any better my valves have to be making the noise.... when i adjusted them the rocker arms or those things the lobes on the camshafts hit are a lil loose.... should they be loose or a lil tight???

ComposiMo 07-05-2003 06:40 AM

Re: How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (evilcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evilcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> those things the lobes on the camshafts hit are a lil loose...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude, maybe its time to take the car somewhere and let someone who knows what they are doing adjust the valves for you. You can hurt your engine badly if you make a mistake up there.

What did you adjust them to when you did it (what feeler thickness did you use)?

hondaless 07-05-2003 06:50 AM

Re: How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (ComposiMo)

.15mm intake .17mm exhaust

jung4g 07-05-2003 07:13 AM

Re: How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (evilcrx)

Damn, all metric and shitt... I adjust both my intake and Exhaust to .009 inches... Per the Honda service manual you should adjust them to .17mm-.22mm intake and .22mm-.27mm exhaust. So you may have them a little tight, and they can go to smaller clearance when you're tightening the lock nut, so be careful, to tight can cause some weird stresses in there... Good luck...

Jung

hondaless 07-05-2003 07:17 AM

Re: How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (jung4g)

thats what the honda manual recomends for a ZC and if it was to tight wouldn't it idle like crap? the car idles fine just a lil noisy.

Vinceg99 07-05-2003 07:22 AM

Re: How tight should Rocker arm be when adjusting valve??? (jung4g)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jung4g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, all metric and shitt... I adjust both my intake and Exhaust to .009 inches... Per the Honda service manual you should adjust them to .17mm-.22mm intake and .22mm-.27mm exhaust. So you may have them a little tight, and they can go to smaller clearance when you're tightening the lock nut, so be careful, to tight can cause some weird stresses in there... Good luck..</TD></TR></TABLE>
That doesnt make any sense?? You tell him that he may have them a little tight yet what he tightened them to is less than what you said the manual says??