Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Skunk2 Coilovers (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/skunk2-coilovers-356847/)

spiceisler 12-11-2002 05:16 AM

Skunk2 Coilovers

It seems that the part # for the Skunk2 coilover kit is the same for 88-00 Civics. Last night I put a set on my 90 Si and the rears are so stiff that the car bounces around. Does anyone know what the rating (lbs) the kit comes with?
Also when I put the spring on the perches at the rear, the top of the spring does not touch the top of the strut bracket ( part that bolts up to the body) WTF? Is that the way it should be? Any suggestions?

spiceisler 12-11-2002 12:04 PM

Re: Skunk2 Coilovers (clean90Si)

Anyone had this problem?

CRXSIFUEL 12-11-2002 12:09 PM

When my rex is on the lit, the rear spring hangs loose, kinda scary but i havent had any problem, bouncing, my car does not do, i also installed new struts (blues) and its a bit ruff but its not that bad.

spiceisler 12-11-2002 12:49 PM

Re: Skunk2 Coilovers (CRXSIFUEL)

Thanks man. I also have the blues but I gonna go over the car again tonight so I'll see if there was a problem.

Did anyone notice that on the Skunk2 coilovers 2 of the spring collars are longer than the other 2. Which ones for the front and which are the rears?

jc836 12-11-2002 01:30 PM

No problem-mine are from an Integra actually as I ordered a higher spring rate. Look carefully at the springs and you should find a number on them. The way Skunk tells you to do the install is to have the springs with the higher number in the front (xxx.xxx.xxx 1st is ID of spring/2nd is length/3rd is rate).
If you are on stock shocks the ride will not be as good as that with aftermarket units. Another thing-the springs are linear rate and much higher than stock so you will not be as comfortable regardless of shock brand.
Now to the rear problem-the springs will NOT fully seat themselves unless you run the perch up to the top of the sleeve, which is not what you want to have anyway. Remember that these springs are shorter than stock. Another thing-did you cut the bumpstops on the piston rods before assembling. If not take everything apart and cut them in half. When I jack up the cars the springs are released from either the rubber isolators under the top hats or are stuck to them with them loose from the perch.
You mention-"collars"-do you mean the sleeves--if so the long ones go in back.
Last-you can determine the rates by using the part numbers on the box and calling Skunk2.
Can only hope this explains a little. Happy holidays

[Modified by jc836, 5:32 PM 12/11/2002]

xXxS_SxXx 12-11-2002 11:35 PM

Re: Skunk2 Coilovers (CRXSiBeater)

i have skunk 2 coil over with tokico blues in my car and the ride is perfect

[Modified by xXxS_SxXx, 2:36 AM 12/12/2002]

spiceisler 12-12-2002 07:37 AM

Re: Skunk2 Coilovers (xXxS_SxXx)

OK, I f*****d up. When I installed the rears, I re-installed the ("piston protector"?) inner black metallic dust shields after I installed the sleeves. It was a little tight bit they fit anyway. What I realized after I took the rear shocks back out was that the rubber part of the dust shields got caught between the inside of the sleeves and the shock body causing the metal part of the dust shield to wedge itself between the top of the sleeve and the inside washer that goes around the piston rod. Consequently there was no up-and-down movement causing a stiff and bumpy ride. I've redone the rears and one front in 2 hrs last night (sure did it enuff times) and now everthing is fine. Initially I'd put the 2 long sleeves in front so I had to take them apart again. I've also cut the bump stops and the numbers are all the same on the springs. I must say that the car does indeed ride and handle much better than the "intrax" crap that I took off. I have blues in the rear and Illuminas in the front, ST f/r bars and Energy kit all around. I'll have to wait a bit for new shoes to test the true potential of the handling.
Thanks to you all for your responses! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

[Modified by clean90Si, 11:39 AM 12/12/2002]