Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/does-white-smoke-exhaust-%3D-burning-oil-321216/)

dynomax27 10-30-2002 07:09 PM

does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil

Well the civic is finally boosted. I fixed all of my exhaust leaks. Now it seems that im burinig oil or something. After a nice and easy 15 min drive I still see white smoke comming from my car. I know its normal when its cold outside and the car is cold but after 15 min i shouldnt be seeing white smoke. What do you guys think. Also it looks like my turbo is leaking oil too. When i look at the turbo from the bottom i can see oil seaping through the sides where it connects to the turbine.

Kamin 10-30-2002 07:10 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (dynomax27)

white = coolant
blue = oil
brown/black = fuel

Benj 10-31-2002 06:09 AM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (KAMiN)

Maybe you've got a blown head gasket?

nsxmatt 10-31-2002 07:24 AM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (Benj)

Most people mistake white for the blue/white type hue that usually comes from burning oil. My guess is if you just put the turbo on, the turbo is leaking oil, and now it starts blowing smoke, it's the leak. Fix the oil leak and see what happens.

Kamin 10-31-2002 07:45 AM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (nsxmatt)

Most people mistake white for the blue/white type hue that usually comes from burning oil. My guess is if you just put the turbo on, the turbo is leaking oil, and now it starts blowing smoke, it's the leak. Fix the oil leak and see what happens.
this is true
coolant burns WHITE
oil is light blue.
check your seals for the feed and return line on the turbo.

dynomax27 10-31-2002 12:20 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (KAMiN)

ok thanks. the turbo is leaking oil. Should i just say f-it, rebuild it, or get a new one. i really dont want to spend any more money tho.

Bigjon 10-31-2002 02:57 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (dynomax27)

What would be the first thing to check if you car was burning oil?

civicsitek GanGsTa 10-31-2002 08:41 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (Bigjon)

Fist thing to check would be how fast you are losing oil. If you are burning it, your oil level will slowly drop.

Evil_Wizard 10-31-2002 08:46 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (civicsitek)

Maybe your radiator needs to be upgraded to much pressure on it with the turbo now. Having a harder time cooling the engine.

dynomax27 11-01-2002 02:40 PM

Re: does white smoke from exhaust = burning oil (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

My radiator actually has a big dent in it form a rock. There are no leaks tho, but it probably does slow down flow.