Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   ECU immobilizer issues (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/ecu-immobilizer-issues-3168841/)

sherendly 09-07-2013 03:26 PM

ECU immobilizer issues

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I've been going through a lot with my car, but i''l try to keep my story short.

I have an Accord 1999 VTEC 4cyl 4drs, and i concluded out of some tests that i have a bad ECU (after replacing a lot of sensors, fuel-pump, and finally replacing the whole f23a engine :thud: . The thing which was making the situation annoying is, my car has no OBD2 nor OBD1 connector. it has a 3pin connector (see illustration below), which here in my island i get limited/no support at the Honda Dealer.)

I forgot to tell you my PROBLEM; I actually have an intermittent stalling issue, and this problem remained after the engine swap.
But to keep things really short, i'm now completely sure that it was the ECU bothering me all the time, since;
1. I swapped the whole engine with all sensors and fuel-pump and the problem remained
2. and lately i finally received the 1st check-engine light (CYP), and after troubleshooting with another distributor and measuring the resistance it comes out on a bad ECU.

So i went my way on buying an ECU on the internet.
But my part-code 37820-PAA-A50 was no were to be found. After some research i bought another ECU which should do the same 37820-PAA-L61. I bought the complete unit with its ignition-switch and (programmed)key, since my car has no immobilizer.

The parts arrived, my surprise now; since my car has no immobilizer it misses the jack for the immobo. (see illustration below)

In another forum i found the wiring diagram for this unit, and i made it. (see illustration below)

BUT after doing it all, it still wont start. I'm not able to hear the Fuel-pump when the key is turned ON. So the engine is getting no fuel and only cranks, and cranks, no go!! Further on i get a code 22 (VTEC-issues) from the new ECU, which should not be a real problem now.

My question now;
1. Anybody knows if there is something else i should consider when scratch installing an OEM immobilizer? is this even possible?
2. Is there another ECU i can buy with no immobilizer and still can do the work for my 1999 Accord? if yes, please provide me the Part-code...
3. Or anyone knows where i can get the 37820-PAA-A50 itself

grumblemarc 09-07-2013 03:47 PM

Re: ECU immobilizer issues

And this has what to do with Wheel & Tire?
And if you're looking for that ECU you should've tried eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-01-02-HONDA-ACCORD-ECU-ECM-ENGINE-CONTROL-UNIT-37820-PAA-A50-/200653084570?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb7db179a&vxp=mtr

sherendly 09-07-2013 03:53 PM

Yes, i'm looking at my mistake. But i did not figure out yet how to move it from "wheel and tire"

But is the PAA-A51 VTEC compatible too?

grumblemarc 09-07-2013 04:40 PM

I'm just answering question #3. I think you should stop messing around and just get the correct one for your car since you are POSITIVE the ECU is the culprit. Replace parts like for like for no hassles. It was obvious that ECU you bought wasn't really compatible and now you have a new set of issues. Neither the buying it nor your attempts to modify it make any sense to me. If anything you should be trying to BYPASS the immobilizer rather than make your car compatible if you're bent on using it.

Trying to make sense of your troubleshooting logic.

sherendly 09-07-2013 05:11 PM

i understand, and i'm happy your posting.
If you noticed the option you sent me is not A50, but A51 instead...

and I noticed the PAA-A51 you're giving me as an option before, but did choose the other one since in the ebay-listing they provide a better car compatibility list, which i thought is also important. f.e. 1999 accord EX, 4cyl, VTEC

hope you understand me. I just want to be sure sure that the "37820-PAA-A51" has no immobilizer and will do accord 1999 EX 4cyl. i just want you or someone to confirm that.

grumblemarc 09-08-2013 12:20 AM

That's what they listed. If the photo/listing isn't accurate you should verify with the seller as it happens all the time.