Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   steering wheel has a wobble and car is pulling to the right (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/steering-wheel-has-wobble-car-pulling-right-3163933/)

CivicSos 08-12-2013 01:10 PM

steering wheel has a wobble and car is pulling to the right

Just like the title says is what the car is doing. Its a 99 Civic Ex Coupe. I know a few things to look out for but im also looking for other things to check if this is common with these cars. First I'll check to see if the wheel weights are on all the wheels, then I'll check the tires to see if there are any steel belts separating causing any bubbles in the tread, then I'll check tire pressure. The tires have excellent tread left so I'm hoping there aren't any problems there. If there are any other things you all can think of for me to check that would be greatly appreciated!!

MyWhiteEJ6 08-12-2013 01:30 PM

Re: steering wheel has a wobble and car is pulling to the right

Take it in for an alignment.

B_Swapped93 08-12-2013 01:38 PM

lol^

Check for play in the wheel L to R jack the car up and try and wiggle the wheel. inspect the balljoints and that nothing is loose suspension component wise. check that the axel is seated.

my guess tierod

CivicSos 08-12-2013 04:27 PM

I only jacked up one corner of the car at a time and all tires look fine. I did a viausl inspection of everything and it looked good to me. I did the whole top to bottom shake to check the ball joints. I could turn the wheels side to side pretty far with some with effort. I also checked all the tires for pressure and they were all fine. Took it for a short ride and didn't have much vibration on the little highway I drove on but it still pulled to the right.

CivicSos 08-12-2013 04:33 PM

I also can't keep a smooth rotor on the car. I bought it with a warped rotor thinking "thats an easy fix" After I fixed it 3 months later it was warped again damnit I've just dealt with it for the last 6 months

B_Swapped93 08-12-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CivicSos (Post 49051181)
I also can't keep a smooth rotor on the car. I bought it with a warped rotor thinking "thats an easy fix" After I fixed it 3 months later it was warped again damnit I've just dealt with it for the last 6 months

so uneven brake pad wear causing the rotor to wrap, you must have forgot to grease the sliders

CivicSos 08-12-2013 05:39 PM

That is possible but I usually use grease.

DumpdEJ6 08-13-2013 03:42 AM

Uneven tire pressure will cause the car to pull to one side, as well as bad alignment, which you can only eyeball the problem in extreme cases. Your toe is probably out of alignment.

CivicSos 08-25-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93 (Post 49051261)
so uneven brake pad wear causing the rotor to wrap, you must have forgot to grease the sliders

I changed the rotors yesterday and there was plenty of grease on the back of the pads. Im thinking I might have a sticking caliper cause sometimes while braking through a turn and letting off the brake the car will sometimes feel like it is still braking. Sometimes during a long braking curve halfway through the brakes will grab more with no more pressure applied. Maybe I ought to change the calipers before I warp these rotors. Pads were fine though.

CivicSos 08-25-2013 11:18 AM

After changing the rotors I still have the wobble in my steering wheel going straight and the car is pulling to the right. Guess I'll save up for some tires and and an alignment

mx73lol 08-25-2013 11:40 AM

Back to the OPs concern......is the steering wheel off center when driving straight? And if it is off center, is it to the left or to the right? Does it pull to the right with the steering wheel straight? Does it only pull when you let go of the steering wheel? Wobble is a tire imbalance. Get them rebalanced.

CivicSos 08-26-2013 12:28 PM

When I drivestraight the steering wheel is straight but as soon as I let go it veers to the right.