Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Seat belt retractor question, went to Honda... (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/seat-belt-retractor-question-went-honda-3117927/)

ThePizzaMan 01-16-2013 04:44 PM

Seat belt retractor question, went to Honda...

I've had a problem with my seat belt retractors, won't lock when pulled on and flashing seatbelt light on dash. Took to Honda, they ordered two retractors and replaced. I leave the dealership today after they replaced both retractors and I still have the same issue. Any suggestions as to what it might be the cause? Thx!

kaiba 01-16-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Seat belt retractor question, went to Honda...

Take it back to honda. Dont fuck with it.

ThePizzaMan 01-21-2013 02:55 PM

They took it back, looked at it again... said the problem is with the door latch, and that they can't repair it because that part is no longer made. Why would the door latch cause the seat belt light to be on? The dome light sensor in the doorjamb works just fine, and the door closes and opens okay (with the exception of sagging hinges in the front).

Any ideas?

And/or, is there a fix for this?

v4lu3s 01-22-2013 09:32 AM

i would ask them specifically to explain how the door latch is affecting your seatbelts. the technician and service writer should be able to do that, it is their job.

thedaltonator4 01-22-2013 12:11 PM

ya whatever you do. DONT mess with it!!! same thing happened to mine and then the one thing you dont ever want to jerry rig. your seatbelt.

i64X 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

If I remember correctly the electronic switch that tells the car if your seat belt is buckled or not is in the part of the belt with the button on it that bolts to the center floor of the car in between the seats. The mechanism in that button could be broken, which would have nothing to do with the safety of your seat belts. There should be an electrical connection for that switch under the seat. I've seen people bypass the warning light with a paper clip or a small piece of wire if they put aftermarket seats in their EFs with harnesses vs the stock seat belts.

ThePizzaMan 01-22-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by thedaltonator4 (Post 48367883)
ya whatever you do. DONT mess with it!!! same thing happened to mine and then the one thing you dont ever want to jerry rig. your seatbelt.

How did you fix it?

There is also an electrical draw that appears to be somewhere in this circuit, others have complained of seatbelt lights/power draws.

Also, do your seatbelts lock if you tug on them? I can't get the seatbelt to lock... this is my primary concern.

ThePizzaMan 01-22-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by v4lu3s (Post 48367064)
i would ask them specifically to explain how the door latch is affecting your seatbelts. the technician and service writer should be able to do that, it is their job.

He said "There is a connection on the latch inside of the door that is no good". This is where the problem is according to Honda.

KWayRacing 01-22-2013 03:50 PM

I have seen many door latches cause the passive restraint system to not work properly. However that shouldn't cause the problem you describe in your original post. Seatbelts will not lock. Does this mean the seat belts do not slide from front to back when you close the door? Exactly what does will not lock mean? The door latch has a switch in it that tells the seatbelt control unit to slide the seatbelts from front to back or vise versa depending on its position.

ThePizzaMan 01-22-2013 07:29 PM

If I yank on the seatbelt, while breaking, driving, the belt won't hold me back.

bheinen74 01-22-2013 07:33 PM

Theeeee most common issue on a crx is the seatbelt retract not working right causes cuts on the door panels. Second most common is glovebox mount point breaking, 3rd is the hvac clamp back side cracking causing no hot cold control. 4th sunroof on si not working right

ThePizzaMan 01-22-2013 08:41 PM

Cuts on door panels?

Spug 01-22-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThePizzaMan (Post 48369993)
Cuts on door panels?

When you close the male side of the buckle in the door when the belt doesn't retract, causing gouges on the rear end of the door panel.