Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   1995 Accord Speedometer not working. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/1995-accord-speedometer-not-working-3097808/)

Bancas 10-21-2012 11:02 AM

1995 Accord Speedometer not working.

I took my car to a shop to get the shift linkage fixed. After I got my car back, I noticed the speedometer was not working. I called the shop and they said they would fix it. The car sat in their shop for a week until I called them. After running a number of tests, they concluded that I needed a new gauge cluster. I bought a new gauge cluster and replaced it myself and the speedometer still doesn't work. I don't want to go back to that shop because they gave me a really hard time and didn't seem like they were going to help me. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and what I can do to fix it? It's a 95 Accord EX Coupe manual transmission. Thanks for the help.

doctorbee 10-21-2012 11:43 AM

Re: 1995 Accord Speedometer not working.

do you have a check engine light?

nus_dogg 10-21-2012 12:16 PM

Your VSS might be bad; since, you've already ruled out that the cluster itself isn't the cause.

Does your cruise control still works?

Bancas 10-21-2012 01:05 PM

Actually now that you mention it the check engine light will randomly come on sometimes and it only started doing that since I got my car back. No, the cruise control does not work.

nus_dogg 10-21-2012 01:47 PM

Most likely your VSS is out then. That or something in that circuit.

Bancas 10-21-2012 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help! I will update when I figure this out.

LadynRed97 10-27-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nus_dogg (Post 48013175)
Most likely your VSS is out then. That or something in that circuit.

Ok I have a 1997 Accord SE auto trans 4 cyl not vtec. The speedometer started acting funny about 2 weeks ago sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Check engine light came on about a month ago. Also the car got stolen about 3 years ago & I had to have the ignition replaced & when I got that done my cruise control stopped working & my controls to the defrost & floor vents don't work. The only place air comes out is the dash vents. Also the lights behind the ac/heat controls are out how can I replace those?? Can you give me any ideas??

BOOM_FIST 11-16-2012 08:46 AM

From my research and troubleshooting, if your cruise control still works, it's NOT your VSS. Accords are known for faulty speedo gauges failing from heat behind the cluster and over time the solder joints on the circuit boards crack and lose connectivity. If you've noticed that your speedo will randomly kick on after you've been driving or after your car is "warmed" up, it's been said it's because the heat will expand the solder joints and the connectivity will re-engage the speedo temporarily.

I have this same issue and it's driving me nuts. I went as far as taking my cluster out, disassembling the whole thing down to the speedo circuit board, and re-soldering every single solder joint with the exception of the ones covered in the glue. This process seemed to work flawlessly for about a week or two before it went back to working when it felt like it. I have kind of given up on it for now, but I really want a working speedometer.

Hope this helps some.....