Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   00 Civic - humming noise that goes away when turning left (new wheel bearings) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/00-civic-humming-noise-goes-away-when-turning-left-new-wheel-bearings-3094471/)

93civicsedan 10-08-2012 06:11 AM

00 Civic - humming noise that goes away when turning left (new wheel bearings)

Hello, lately my 2000 civic has a strange humming noise coming from the front end. (At least I think it sounds like its from the front). The noise will go away if I turn the wheel slightly to the left. I thought it was the wheel bearings so I replaced both front ones and its still making the noise. I also tried a different set of tires and no luck. Everything else seems to be fine suspension wise. Any idea what it could be? Thanks.

strategy400 10-08-2012 06:16 AM

Re: strange humming noise

Power steering?

dirty19 10-08-2012 06:24 AM

to rule out axel...go to a parking lot turn the wheel to the left and right (lock out) make a few circles and listen... do you still hear it?
if you hear a clunk while turning.. might be one of those.

ef_cowboy 10-08-2012 09:24 AM

If yor sure the wheel bearing are good the. It's your brakes. Check the clips and backing plate

93civicsedan 10-08-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ef_cowboy (Post 47959303)
If yor sure the wheel bearing are good the. It's your brakes. Check the clips and backing plate

Going to check the brakes although the should be in good condition since they were replaced about two months ago.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

93civicsedan 10-22-2012 08:59 AM

Well everything seems to check out. It seems like the noise is coming from a bearing inside the transmission. Is this something I can DIY or am I better off getting another transmission? Thanks.

theguy22 10-22-2012 09:35 AM

do you hear it while you're driving only? if it does it even while it's parked then it might be your power steering.

93civicsedan 10-22-2012 10:40 AM

Yes when driving I hear it. While parked its quiet.

theguy22 10-22-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 93civicsedan (Post 48016700)
Yes when driving I hear it. While parked its quiet.

hmm. it might be your power steering then.

93civicsedan 10-25-2012 09:47 AM

Noise is getting louder by the week. I think I'm gonna open the transmission up because I think its the bearing. Any idea how many bearings are usually replaced? Thanks.

Former User 10-25-2012 11:34 AM

Describe the noise in more detail or post a video. Is it a metal on metal noise?

93civicsedan 10-25-2012 11:43 AM

Is it a constant whining/humming noise, it will go away for a sec if I slightly cut the wheel to the left. The noise starts when I get to about 30mph and gets louder as I accelerate.

Former User 10-25-2012 11:45 AM

Check whether the brake splash guard(s) is bent, making it rub on the brake rotor.

D-Vice 10-25-2012 12:02 PM

Bearings in a transmission are pretty easy in comparison to rebuilding the full transmission. Its a pretty distinct sound too. But wouldn't make sense for it to go away with a slight turn of the steering wheel.

Usually a bad bearing will be audible in lower speeds or just starting from a stop, and then fade as speed increases. If you ran your transmission low on oil, and warmed it up pretty good you can burn a gear. Then you will usually hear a high pitched hum/whine while in that gear. Either way neither of these sounds should be quieted by turning the wheel.

strategy400 10-25-2012 12:50 PM

It could be the differential, but don't rule out the power steering. I had an accord that made a noise while turning and it turned out to be the ps rack.

93civicsedan 10-25-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by D-Vice (Post 48031277)
Bearings in a transmission are pretty easy in comparison to rebuilding the full transmission. Its a pretty distinct sound too. But wouldn't make sense for it to go away with a slight turn of the steering wheel.

Usually a bad bearing will be audible in lower speeds or just starting from a stop, and then fade as speed increases. If you ran your transmission low on oil, and warmed it up pretty good you can burn a gear. Then you will usually hear a high pitched hum/whine while in that gear. Either way neither of these sounds should be quieted by turning the wheel.

D-Vice thanks for the input. I doesn't make sense to me either. I haven't run it low on oil and its shifting fine. I have already replaced both front wheel bearings and checked brakes and splash guards. Could it possibly be a bad axle? On the outside they look fine don't know if something internally is up with either one of them.

grrump 10-25-2012 09:57 PM

I am getting a similar sound but haven't changed the wheel bearing yet. Would be interested to see what you find out.

blkSi 10-26-2012 05:16 AM

I know you said you tried front bearings, and you think it was coming from the front. But it's a possibility it's the left rear wheel bearing. With a slight turn to either side, it takes load off of that side. Does the sound get louder when you slightly turn to the right?

D-Vice 10-26-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by blkSi (Post 48034287)
I know you said you tried front bearings, and you think it was coming from the front. But it's a possibility it's the left rear wheel bearing. With a slight turn to either side, it takes load off of that side. Does the sound get louder when you slightly turn to the right?

Ah! that is a possibility

95 ACCORD VTEC 08-22-2013 10:41 AM

Re: 00 Civic - humming noise that goes away when turning left (new wheel bearings)

Was hoping to find out what was wrong with the 00 Civic. I have the same problem 95 Accord VTEC, except that the noise goes away only when turning to the right. Even with new rotors, ball joints,rack in pinion,cv joints, and front bearings.

Daniboston 05-08-2016 06:19 AM

Re: 00 Civic - humming noise that goes away when turning left (new wheel bearings)

Curious, did you ever figured this out? My '05 is making the same sound, but in the opposite direction. Noticed I'm getting air in my PSF cause of a bad return hose. Planning on repairing that, just waiting on the hose. I'm doubtful that's what's causing the growl though.

Let me know! It's driving me nuts.