Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   94 civic cx rear drum to disc swap (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/94-civic-cx-rear-drum-disc-swap-3068359/)

cydinthegreat 06-29-2012 02:54 AM

94 civic cx rear drum to disc swap

I have a 94 cx wanting to swap rear drums to disc I want to keep my 4×100 bolt pattern so what car can i pull what I need off of that will bolt up and what exactly do I need?

MonkeyMagic 06-29-2012 06:17 AM

Re: 94 civic cx rear drum to disc swap

integra or crx

trailing arms, brakes, emergency brake cables.

94eg! 06-29-2012 06:28 AM

I have the same car w/ the same swap...

You need complete rear trailing arms, & brake hoses. They can come from any 88-00 CRX/Civic/Sol with rear discs or any 90+ Integra (non TypeR). These are all 4x100 and all interchangeable.

You also need e-brake cables. 92-95 Si fit best, but 94+ Integra 3DR will work too (one bolt is screwy). I used integras and made it work.

You should also look into getting a different proportioning valve. This is the part that actually makes the rear brakes work harder under heavy braking allowing the rear tires to meet their full potential. If you planning on keeping the small CX front brakes, consider finding the 92-95 Si 3040 prop valve. The Si's (wihtout ABS) came with this exact brake setup your installing (small fronts & rear discs) in your exact chassis. If you can't find one, or your considering bigger front brakes later on, get yourself a 4040 proportioning valve from a NON-ABS 90-97 Integra. 94-97 Integra-RS valve is a perfect fit, but very hard to find. The 90-93 Integra will work too, but the bracket is different and only matches up to one mounting stud on the firewall.

You will probably also want new rotors and pads. I like Centric Premium rotors. They are inexpensive and top quality. They have a fully machined face and a black e-coating. They also have an upgraded version called "High Carbon" with a stronger alloy.

For pads I would look at Stoptech (by centric). Perfect fit, no noise, relatively low dust, not too expensive & crazy high temp performance (1200*F). This is a great street performance pad. One word of caution though: If you don't have aggressive sport pads in the front, either don't install them in the rear, or replace the front pads too. High bite pads in the rear only can cause rear lockup under heavy braking. This hurts braking stability (especially at high speed). I know because I originally installed Axxis Ultimates in the back when I did my 94 CX rear disc swap, but only had Rabestos metallics up front. The rears would lock early if I really jammed on it hard which made it a little scary. Now that I have sport pads all around it's much better.

cydinthegreat 07-04-2012 12:15 AM

Thank you 94eg! Thats exactly the info I needed much appreciated