Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   New brake pads rubbing against rotor (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/new-brake-pads-rubbing-against-rotor-3055582/)

Tenzo 05-12-2012 09:59 PM

New brake pads rubbing against rotor

Okay, so I just changed my front brake pads on my EG and when I turn the wheel, I hear the rotor grinding against the new brake pads. I'm aware that they need to break-in or bed-in first after about 500 miles for the pads I got. (Some cheap Duralast ones, just temporary until I get all new rotors and better pads) My question is when I installed the pads, are they suppose to be touching the rotor? There was no real answer to this, so I assumed they just went on touching. Every tutorial or instruction I got for changing pads was that they just get slapped on and should start to settle in over time.

nealnanoHX 05-13-2012 07:59 AM

Re: New brake pads rubbing against rotor

LMFAO really. Are brake pads supposed to touch the rotor!!!!?????? Yes that is how brakes work. You press the brake pedal which pushes brake fluid to the calipers, the calipers press the pad to the rotor and the car stops. Yes the noise should go away and it should be a very slight rubbing sound that will go away after a day or so. If not you did something wrong.

ohsnapzafingcu 05-13-2012 08:53 AM

disk brakes always have contact with pad/rotor, drums do not.

FlewByU352 05-13-2012 09:45 AM

When you turn the wheel you hear the rotor grinding... sounds like the dust shield and not the brake pads. I've never in my life heard my brakes grinding. I've heard squealing because racecar brakes but never grinding.

MonkeyMagic 05-13-2012 10:05 AM

^that

op, you bent the dust shield when you changed the brakes. bend it back.

Tenzo 05-13-2012 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX (Post 47334780)
LMFAO really. Are brake pads supposed to touch the rotor!!!!?????? Yes that is how brakes work. You press the brake pedal which pushes brake fluid to the calipers, the calipers press the pad to the rotor and the car stops. Yes the noise should go away and it should be a very slight rubbing sound that will go away after a day or so. If not you did something wrong.

Well obviously the pads are suppose to make contact when you brake lol. I'm asking if they're suppose to be touching when you install them. ohsnapzafingcu just answered the question, thanks. Lol cu...

I was thinking it was the dust shield, but I highly doubt it. I know I bent one of them when I was changing a wheel stud, but when I changed the other pad, I didn't even touch the dust shield. Then again, I'll consider it a possibility. If this may give a clue, when I press the brake, then let off, I hear what sounds like a click coming from my front driver side brake. Only happens sometimes. I have a feeling I messed up on the brakes. :(

grumblemarc 05-13-2012 11:03 AM

Install the shims properly? Did you apply that red goop?