Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   Eg civic : hood exit downpipe question (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/eg-civic-hood-exit-downpipe-question-3055151/)

quicksi69 05-11-2012 08:27 AM

Eg civic : hood exit downpipe question

Hi HT,

So I'm getting a top mount built for the car. Its a eg coupe b16.
Now I'm thinking of doing a hood exit downpipe. But 2 things concern me :

1. Water.
2. Being parked and garbage going in.

Is there some sort of v-band lock cover I could put on ?
Maybe just some cover with a vband bolt but u can't get to it unless u pop the hood ?

Also any pics of eg's hood exit dp .... Thx!

93supercoupe 05-11-2012 08:36 AM

Re: Eg civic : hood exit downpipe question

We had the dunptubes come out of the hood and used a dirtbike exhuast plug

utahturbosohc 05-11-2012 11:00 AM

If you're going to be driving the car enough that you are worried about needing a lockable cover, I'd recommend not going through the hood.

But, I do have fender exit exhaust, and daily drive the car. No trash or anything can get in it unless someone put something in there. But when I start the car it all flies out. When washing the car off, I just slip a grocery bag or zip lock bag over the dp. Never had a problem.

mangina 05-11-2012 01:51 PM

is it loud as hell for daily?

92redhatch 05-11-2012 02:03 PM

If your worried about that then don't do it. Hood exhaust is for a race car

utahturbosohc 05-11-2012 03:10 PM

Its loud, yes. But in 7 months of daily driving the car, I never got pulled over or anything for it. And many many times I have had to stop next to cops at traffic lights. It isnt any louder than many of the ricer mufflers people get put on their cars.

FastEg6 05-11-2012 06:55 PM

I honestly think having an open downpipe over a Hood exit up pipe is much louder because all the sound is vibrating off the ground and under the car...

94lsvturbo 05-11-2012 07:24 PM

^^ x2

jdm inc 05-11-2012 11:41 PM

if its daily driven i would do a downpipe.

JDMekB20 05-12-2012 10:35 AM

what size turbo are you running? my up pipe is loud as hell, it shakes the ground when it revs lol

SPOOLINmatt 05-12-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by FastEg6 (Post 47330026)
I honestly think having an open downpipe over a Hood exit up pipe is much louder because all the sound is vibrating off the ground and under the car...

yeah i feel like my car got a tad quieter.

theidealone 05-12-2012 02:10 PM

I agree with everything said here I think.

The exhaust is quieter (in cab) through the hood, than it is under the car.

But I wouldnt do it on a daily. A weekend street car that sees more track time than street time, sure. But not something I drive to work every day. Itll get attention, and your main concerns are main points to take into consideration.

You cant drive in heavy rain (like a downpour). Light rain, itll evaporate before it hits the turbine, so thats not an issue. So if you drove to work, and then it started pouring, you would be stuck at work.

Im always paranoid someone might put something down my exhaust. A few rocks in my turbine wheel would REALLY suck. I would hope no one would do it. But you never know anymore. People are shitty.

itspools 05-12-2012 09:55 PM

The simple answer here is install a tractor flapper.

Zer0_SpeedWorks 05-12-2012 11:26 PM

I think a downpipe would be much more practical when you daily drive your car.

ProjectLSVTEG 05-13-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by itspools (Post 47333892)
The simple answer here is install a tractor flapper.

Tractor Supply sells them as large as 6"... I've seen them there while wandering around bored.

061000rr 05-13-2012 01:18 PM

im also thinking of going with a up pipe. with my old setup everytime i would antilag the car for the burnout and staging it would blow the dust cover off my shifter and blow flames and dust all inside the car. got really hot a couple times! anyone have a old one they want to get rid of? need it to go from 3" to 4"

a1320honda 05-13-2012 01:41 PM

I had my 4" up through the hood for 3+ years, never had any problems with garbage or water getting in. I washed the engine bay every other week or so. The main thing that sucked was starting it on a colder morning and you get condensation mixed with black soot blowing out and it leaves little black dots all over everything. Only time i ever got pulled over was between shifts and it let loose a blue 4' tall flame that cought the cops attention. But no ticket was given. It was far quieter with it up than pointing down. And last was daily driving any distance ...drove from Spokane to Seattle for a meet and by the time we got to Seattle, me and my GF both had headaches from the fumes.