Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Check Engine Light (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/check-engine-light-3048502/)

JDMEF 04-19-2012 01:52 PM

Check Engine Light

Hey wassup i have a 91 ef and my check engine light is on.. i read the code on the ecu and it blinks 6 times. ever since the light came on my gas milage has been sucking. i know in theowners manual says 6 blinks is temperature gauge and something else i cant remember but i tried reseting the ecu by disconnecting my battery for like 20 minutes but its still there. my book says take car t dealership but nahhh.. so what could it be or what can i do ? thanks

CRX Toad 04-19-2012 04:25 PM

Re: Quick question

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC IN YOUR TITLE "QUICK QUESTION" HELPS NO ONE THAT MIGHT HAVE THE SAME ISSUE.

neophish 04-19-2012 05:22 PM

Re: Check Engine Light

ok, if code 6 is a temp issue, what is the temp gauge reporting? when was the last time you flushed the coolant? or changed the thermostat?

TeamRedline89Hatch 04-19-2012 05:53 PM

Code 6 - Coolant Temp Sensor. Check to make sure it is plugged in and the wire isn't broken. If all is good, they are like 20$ at Auto Zone.

jlicrx 04-20-2012 06:35 AM

code 6 is for the temperature sensor (TW) for the ECU, not the gauge - gauge sensor doesn't give a CEL and a code - TW sensor affects injector timing and duration, ignition timing, idle control, etc. - TW sensor is located on the end of the head below the distributor - has a 2-wire connector with red/white and green/white wires - either the sensor is bad or you have a problem with the wires or connector

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pSensors-3.jpg

Kayita 04-20-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jlicrx (Post 47220234)
code 6 is for the temperature sensor (TW) for the ECU, not the gauge - gauge sensor doesn't give a CEL and a code - TW sensor affects injector timing and duration, ignition timing, idle control, etc. - TW sensor is located on the end of the head below the distributor - has a 2-wire connector with red/white and green/white wires - either the sensor is bad or you have a problem with the wires or connector

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pSensors-3.jpg

Hey, this is someone else. My Check Engine LED for 2004 Honda Accord LX manual is not turning on. Just bought the car, hoping the wire was only disconnected. Do you have pinout for ECU (signal out) and Cluster (signal input) pins for this LED Engine light? thanks in advance.

JDMEF 04-20-2012 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone for your help i relly appreciate it :) but my problem is finally solved! thanks to jlicrx :thumbup: thank you so much dude

skill178 04-21-2012 08:57 AM

Can anyone lemme know which wire goes on which prong? My clips broke and I have two little clips on the wires now but Idk which wire goes on which.

JDMEF 04-21-2012 03:35 PM

@skill178 the red wire is facing the clip, and the green wire goes below the red one

JDMEF 04-21-2012 03:37 PM

@ kayita first make sure the ecu cover isint put on backwards. i thought mine didnt work either but then i took the cover off and discovered that the previous owner had taken the cover off and accidentally put the cover back on facing the wrong way. check that first cuz it happend to me lol

Kayita 04-23-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by JDMEF (Post 47226671)
@ kayita first make sure the ecu cover isint put on backwards. i thought mine didnt work either but then i took the cover off and discovered that the previous owner had taken the cover off and accidentally put the cover back on facing the wrong way. check that first cuz it happend to me lol

The thing is, I put put in another ECU, used. Light still not coming on when Ignition is ON, not start. Car runs fine. which is the position it should be to test all cluster lights. My State inspection is comming up, got to have this light lid. Need pin-outs for both ECU and Cluster. Anyone have them? 2004 Honda Accord LX, manual transmission.

Matts_h23 03-07-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JDMEF (Post 47216451)
Hey wassup i have a 91 ef and my check engine light is on.. i read the code on the ecu and it blinks 6 times. ever since the light came on my gas milage has been sucking. i know in theowners manual says 6 blinks is temperature gauge and something else i cant remember but i tried reseting the ecu by disconnecting my battery for like 20 minutes but its still there. my book says take car t dealership but nahhh.. so what could it be or what can i do ? thanks

hey guys I have a 1999 Acura Integra dc2 with h23 swap I try to read my check engine light and it blinks 6 times. I understand that the code 6 is a temp sensor issue and I had already replace it. I try to reset my check engine light but it does not go away I still have the check engine light for the same code

arries289 03-08-2018 07:55 AM

Make sure you replaced your ECU temp sensor and not the Temp Gauge sensor. Check your wiring and connector.

acmoc 03-08-2018 08:20 AM

I once had a cel for the temp sensor as well. Non of the replacements from autozone, kragen, etc. worked.
An old oem unit I pulled at the junk yard did work.