Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   A/C Relay Honda Accord 2001 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/c-relay-honda-accord-2001-a-3046526/)

bama911 04-13-2012 01:11 AM

A/C Relay Honda Accord 2001

Hello. I have a 2001 Honda Accord and am having problems with the air conditioning/heating. The air works sporadically - sometimes it works fine, then other times the green lights on the control panel go out and only warm air is blown. The lights will eventually come back on and the cold air will blow again. Sometimes the lights blink for a while before they eventually come back on. This sometimes takes a couple of minutes, sometimes up to 15 minutes. The same thing happens with the heat. I've read online that this is probably an issue with the relay. I wanted to get an opinion on this and, if you agree, could you tell me if this would be the A/C Compressor Control Relay or the A/C Condenser Fan Motor Relay? Obviously I'm not tech savvy and don't know how to test the relays.

I currently live overseas and took the car to a Honda dealer here in Italy and they told me the entire air conditioning system would need to be replaced for a cost of 1000 plus euros. That's when I started looking online....

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Bad_dude 04-13-2012 02:30 PM

Re: A/C Relay Honda Accord 2001

Tell the dealer to move to another country or take down their Honda sign. From what you have described, you have an inconsistent connection problem. From my feeling, I don't think it's the relay but more so the connection to the relay if any thing. I would locate the relay switch. Take the negative on the battery off. Get electronic spray cleaner, clean the plug contact. Plug it back in after it dries completely then test the AC. If that fails, check the gas coolant in your AC system. You might have a small leak from the o ring, small enough to change gas pressure to cause the relay not to kick the compressor on. This is rare but I have seen it once. The next thing you could do is remove the climate control where the AC switch is mounted to. You might have a short in the control to cause this. So do the easy first and go from there. But do not replace your AC system. So much bs there.

spike32 04-14-2012 08:44 PM

I think your control panel buttons are bad. Next time the AC goes off and the LED lights are dead try this.

Try to adjust the HOT-COLD , any change?
Try to adjust from FLOOR to VENT to DEFROST, any change?

The climate control may be dead.
FYI the fan speed is a separate switch and

The HOT COLD, VENT FLOOR DEFROST, REAR DEFROST, AC, RECIRC BUTTONS will go dead the same time.

spike32 04-14-2012 08:45 PM

and when the control panel is dead, the nighttime illumination will still work.