Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Head gasket leaking ALOT of oil??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/head-gasket-leaking-alot-oil-3043562/)

bob441 04-03-2012 05:42 PM

Head gasket leaking ALOT of oil???

Ok the car(95 ex) runs good and has brand new valve cover gasket,But the garage says the oil leak is under the head Just behind the Timing belt cover. I thought it was the camshaft seal, but the timing belt (That was replaced about 2,000 miles ago)is dry and it is a pressure leak it pours out and pools in the "horn" that sticks out back there. My question is is there a oil passage right there in the head??? I am used to GM products so this is why I am asking Thanks Bob

dglassmyer 04-03-2012 05:59 PM

Re: Head gasket leaking ALOT of oil???

Well you are right to suspect the camshaft seal as that will cause pooling right in that casting depression.
Another possibility is hondabond or an rtv equivalent was not used when the new valve cover gasket was installed. Without some sort of additional sealant those cover gaskets will leak and pool just in the area you described.

When you say this is a "pressure leak" does that mean you can see oil leaking out under pressure?
I ask because while there are oil drainway passages through the head in that area, they are gravity drains only and not under pump pressure.

bob441 04-03-2012 07:22 PM

I put another Valve cover gasket myself ,The one they put on WAS leaking ,I only put sealant in the corners of the recesses.but it is now leaking out lower than the valve cover,It looks like it is coming out from where the timing belt cover and head meet the car runs good NO oil in water or water in oil.I presumed it was under pressure because of the amount it leaks so it may not be under pressure.Is this a common spot for the head to leak oil??I just do not want to spend 600 vs 200 for a camshaft seal

motojcf27 04-03-2012 07:40 PM

Dude you need to remove the timing belt cover and inspect the shaft seals, there are about half a dozen seals under there.

bob441 04-03-2012 07:45 PM

ok will do tomorrow

dglassmyer 04-03-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by motojcf27 (Post 47135036)
Dude you need to remove the timing belt cover and inspect the shaft seals, there are about half a dozen seals under there.

Behind the upper timing belt cover, really, what are they then??
The camshaft seal is the only seal that would fail and leak oil.

I can say in my experience I have never had a head gasket being the cause of oil leaking in this location.
It can be difficult to determine if it is a leaking camshaft seal however.
The camshaft seal is actually behind two timing belt covers, the inner and outer, and the camshaft gear itself.

bob441 04-05-2012 12:15 PM

It was leaking out of the head below the cam seal. We took the cover off and cleaned it off and started it and you could tell it was oozing out from under the head where the head meets the block straight behind the REAR riming cover and it was leaking alot and it did not leak until it ran for about 3 minutes.Is a fel pro gasket set ok to use ??The dealer is about 40 miles away. I know to get new bolts.

bob441 04-10-2012 05:44 AM

well IT was the cam seal NOT the head gasket thanks guys it saved me alot of money

motegicivic 04-10-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by bob441 (Post 47167013)
well IT was the cam seal NOT the head gasket thanks guys it saved me alot of money

Many say it is super rare for a head gasket to leak oil.