Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CR-V & Element (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-cr-v-element-156/)
-   -   How much better is the AWD than FWD in CRV? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-cr-v-element-156/how-much-better-awd-than-fwd-crv-3034065/)

Type-Spaz 03-05-2012 02:40 PM

How much better is the AWD than FWD in CRV?

So I'm looking at CRVs and my local Honda dealership called me with a super mint clean 2004 one owner LX with only 41k miles on it.... I wish it was an EX though with all the better options and AWD mainly. This is really only going to be my winter/bad weather car as I have my Supercharged RSX Summer ride...

I think I should just pass on it and spend a little more for the AWD but just want some of your opinions from those with FWD and those with AWD as I've never driven the real time AWD in snow before. I had a beastly Nissan Pathfinder before. I know that Real Time honda AWD is actually mostly FWD unless the tires slip then it kicks in the rear. This is why I ask

Thanks

The Chazzer 03-05-2012 03:34 PM

Re: How much better is the AWD than FWD in CRV?

I bought my V specifically because it was cheap AWD.

I've never driven a FWD V, but I can tell you that in the snow, the AWD kicks in all the time.

Maybe it's my driving style, but I'm glad to have it.

Shits fun too, once you learn how to engage the rear on command. :drag:

Type-Spaz 03-05-2012 05:46 PM

Yeah I live in Wisconsin with plenty of snow here... hell this weekend we got 8 inches alone... AWD is pretty much a must for an SUV

LDForget 03-05-2012 08:08 PM

this weekend we got 2 feet of snow. i <3 RTAWD.

(. )( .) 03-07-2012 06:26 AM

So OP, the AWD seems to be the best for the snowy weather. But I wonder if it's more fun than the other? I know the FWD will be more light weight compared but maybe the AWD has better gearing?

bcp7272 03-07-2012 11:25 AM

Not that it matters down here in the south. But I took my drive shaft out until my next offroad adventure.

thephilosopher 03-24-2012 09:57 AM

if its a winter beater then your gonna want the awd yes its fwd until tires slip but it really does help.

wazup_74 03-28-2012 09:20 AM

At this point its probably too late, but are you sure that the LX is FWD? I have an AWD LX. It just doesnt have the little upgrades inside(moonroof, 6cd changer) but i didn't care for them either. Well maybe the moonroof would have been nice.
If it is just a FWD LX i would probably pass on it. I passed up lots of CRVs until i found my 5spd manual CRV with AWD.
Make a list of what is essential for you, in my case manual and AWD, under 100k mi.
That will help filter them easier.

norcalem2 03-28-2012 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AWD FTW!

wazup_74 03-29-2012 03:36 PM

is that a second gen with the new civic wheels? they look good!

norcalem2 04-02-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by wazup_74 (Post 47109082)
is that a second gen with the new civic wheels? they look good!

2002 RT-AWD Auto CRV
2nd Gen CRV
07 Civic Si rims

wazup_74 04-04-2012 11:08 AM

Dang, if it weren't for the fact that i just spend 500 on new tires i woulld look into getting those wheells. They look suprisinglly good on the crv and of course very oem(which i like). Definitely better than what it came with.

norcalem2 04-04-2012 11:31 AM

not that simple running these rims. I wanted the stock look on my crv because where I live I can't be too flashy

You will need 8mm space up front and stud extenders. The reason for this is because the rim needs to clear the front brake caliper.

Hanzel 07-19-2013 01:28 PM

Hi, what tire sizes are you using with those wheels?