Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   hit brakes and car dies on b18a1 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/hit-brakes-car-dies-b18a1-3023838/)

88HATCH(: 02-03-2012 10:07 PM

hit brakes and car dies on b18a1

like the title says , i slow down or hit the brakes and my car dies out .. takes thirty seconds or so before i can start it again . if im not hitting the brakes my car runs like a rapped ape ..
hit the brakes and good bye . replaced all filters , dizzy , plugs and wires withing the past two weeks .
i have a fuel pressure gaugge and reads 40 psi at idle, so im assuming my fuel pump is in working condition.
any ideas ?

KINGVEM^^ED6 02-03-2012 10:14 PM

Re: hit brakes and car dies on b18a1

Main relay?

88HATCH(: 02-03-2012 11:33 PM

already replaced my main relay

incucivic 02-04-2012 08:33 AM

possibly a vaccuum leak at the brake booster...

if you are at a stop, with it running, can you make it kill by hitting the brake pedal? if so, then its the brake booster. my 88 was doing it really bad until i swapped in a GSR booster and master cylinder.

it didnt completely fix my problem though. it wont kill if im at a stop and pump the brakes, but it still kills sometimes when my fuel level is low and i come to a stop. i even went so far as to change the fuel pump and tank, because the old tank had tons of rust clogging up the tray around the fuel pump assembly. my guess is that the fuel is still splashing away and its losing fuel pressure for a second. i have no idea how im going to fix this. everything inside the fuel tank is brand new.

zrickety 02-04-2012 02:39 PM

I have a similar problem when shutting either door, the pump kicks off for a second. I don't know if a bad bump will shut it off, but I think it's a loose wire somewhere. I moved the car earlier to wash it, and then it wouldn't start at all. A minute later, it started.

88HATCH(: 02-04-2012 04:19 PM

id check but unfortunatly ive discovered a pin hole leak in my head gasket .

most_hated_crx 02-04-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by incucivic (Post 46801672)
possibly a vaccuum leak at the brake booster...

if you are at a stop, with it running, can you make it kill by hitting the brake pedal? if so, then its the brake booster. my 88 was doing it really bad until i swapped in a GSR booster and master cylinder.

it didnt completely fix my problem though. it wont kill if im at a stop and pump the brakes, but it still kills sometimes when my fuel level is low and i come to a stop. i even went so far as to change the fuel pump and tank, because the old tank had tons of rust clogging up the tray around the fuel pump assembly. my guess is that the fuel is still splashing away and its losing fuel pressure for a second. i have no idea how im going to fix this. everything inside the fuel tank is brand new.

I'd do fuel lines, when I replaced mine, they were pretty bad to the say the least lol, unfortunately with cars as old as ours, these are common things we deal with.