Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   popping noise from front end 98 civic (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/popping-noise-front-end-98-civic-3022575/)

hawksftball2007 01-31-2012 08:26 AM

popping noise from front end 98 civic

NEW TO HONDA-TECH...... so every once and a while i will get this loud popping creaking sound when going over speed bumps and sharp turns or combination in school parking lot(main time i hear it). I am not sure whether it is a dry ball joint (needs grease) or the inner tie rod . the noise is from passenger side. i ordered new ball joint boots for the camber kit(newer) to see if it fixes the problem. but how can i test to pinpoint the noise. i have shaken wheel sideways up down all around and no movement. which is why i am leaning toward dry ball joint (boot is torn). but any help is appreciated Thanks.

cdn ek9 01-31-2012 08:47 AM

Re: popping noise from front end 98 civic

Check your lower and upper balljoint. Mine made that noise when the lower balljoint worn.

hawksftball2007 02-02-2012 01:52 PM

I checked and lower ball joint was fine, but wat i figured out was when i replaced upper ball joint boot. the coilover bushing where it attaches to car, had a popping noise so i tightened the bolt and nut up, and no more popping noise. Thanks

pityocamptes 02-02-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by hawksftball2007 (Post 46792342)
I checked and lower ball joint was fine, but wat i figured out was when i replaced upper ball joint boot. the coilover bushing where it attaches to car, had a popping noise so i tightened the bolt and nut up, and no more popping noise. Thanks

So what did you tighten? My vehicle does not pop, but it does make this irritating creaking noise when going over bumps. I was starting to think its the rubber mounts that go on either side of the springs. I know the rear makes the same noise. I have checked the ball joints and they are fine. Thanks!

hawksftball2007 02-03-2012 02:03 PM

the bolt that attaches the camber kit to the car. it was loose. so i put a bit of locktite on it and tightened it down....creaking sounds like from springs. but try and tighten the bolt and nut down for the front upper control arm.

ali954 05-05-2015 10:50 AM

Revival from the dead to pass along info.

My brother's 97 civic was making a loud pop mostly when he would back out of driveways with the wheel cut right. Turned out to be a loose bolt on the upper control arm where it bolts to the body. He was able to replicate the noise at a stand still and I could see and hear it. Problem solved.

Former User 05-05-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ali954 (Post 50338410)
Revival from the dead to pass along info.

My brother's 97 civic was making a loud pop mostly when he would back out of driveways with the wheel cut right. Turned out to be a loose bolt on the upper control arm where it bolts to the body. He was able to replicate the noise at a stand still and I could see and hear it. Problem solved.

^Good info.

I'll lock this old thread now.