Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Car Cranks but Wont Start (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/car-cranks-but-wont-start-3019414/)

pyroom 01-22-2012 10:49 AM

Car Cranks but Wont Start

The car cranks and sputters like it's trying to start but 95% of the time it won't catch. It originally started doing this last summer only when the engine was warm, but now it doesn't start anytime. I can push start it no problem, but I can't start it with the starter.

The main relay makes 3 clicks, and it doesn't matter what temperature it is outside. The car also sputters sometimes like its running out of gas when I try to accelerate to pass someone on the highway (the RPM needle goes crazy when this happens).

Could it be because I'm burning a lot of oil?

thanks!

singlecamsaint 01-22-2012 11:06 AM

Re: Car Cranks but Wont Start

i would like check all your ground wires

Wingman00SI 01-22-2012 11:21 AM

What car is it? and when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Sounds like you just might need a tune up! spark plugs and wires, cap & rotor and fuel filter..cheap and effective!

pyroom 01-22-2012 11:35 AM

Thanks! It's a 1990 Honda CRX SI.

I just replaced the ground 6 months ago, but I will check that. I was suspecting the fuel filter as well, but I wasn't sure how to check it.

I just need the car to drive 300km home so I can swap out the engine - It burns 1:4 oil to gas, or about 10l every tank lol.

HEADS OR TAILS 01-22-2012 12:06 PM

Have the starter tested and if its good, most likey gonna be ur main relay. I hav 2 extra ones in my rex cuz they burn out over time especially in the summer

pyroom 01-22-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by HEADS OR TAILS (Post 46725952)
Have the starter tested and if its good, most likey gonna be ur main relay. I hav 2 extra ones in my rex cuz they burn out over time especially in the summer

It's a brand new starter, and it doesn't really the the symptoms of a bad main relay. It doesn't matter what temperature it is outside it can only be started by push start. Even before when it was only doing it after the car had been running, it didn't matter if it was only idling for 2 minutes and it was 0 outside or if it was running for 4 hours and it was 50 outside it would still just sputter, and wouldn't start for a good 30 minutes except for in a blue moon it would randomly catch.

Ej1DMJ 01-22-2012 05:39 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have a d16zc sohc cam swap in my 91 hf. It turns over fine but will not turn on. I have no idea what the problem is.

singlecamsaint 01-22-2012 05:44 PM

main relays burn out sometimes, ive had a few do it

Wingman00SI 01-22-2012 06:54 PM

Usually a faulty main relay will cause a car not to start because of both no spark and no fuel, never heard of a main relay causing are car to run or start like shit???

Wingman00SI 01-22-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ej1DMJ (Post 46727728)
I'm having the same problem. I have a d16zc sohc cam swap in my 91 hf. It turns over fine but will not turn on. I have no idea what the problem is.

Check for spark and get your ignition coil and ignition control module tested, and also check for fuel at the fuel rail. If that checks out o.k then check to see if your timing belt is not broken off! Or just take it to your mech..haha

pyroom 01-22-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wingman00SI (Post 46728133)
Usually a faulty main relay will cause a car not to start because of both no spark and no fuel, never heard of a main relay causing are car to run or start like shit???

Yeah when my friends main relay went out his car didn't sputter at all, it would just spin. My car will sputter at 200rpm for as long as 30 seconds on its own but wont catch, except for once in a blue moon when it will start.

I think it's the fuel filter, I found where it is, does anyone know how to get it out?

Wingman00SI 01-23-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by pyroom (Post 46728825)
Yeah when my friends main relay went out his car didn't sputter at all, it would just spin. My car will sputter at 200rpm for as long as 30 seconds on its own but wont catch, except for once in a blue moon when it will start.

I think it's the fuel filter, I found where it is, does anyone know how to get it out?

There's a video on youtube of a 97 prelude that cranks his car over for more than 30-40 seconds and then it finally starts, his problem was the ignition control module in the dizzy. I'll try to find the video again and I'll post the link!

Wingman00SI 01-23-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wingman00SI (Post 46733055)
There's a video on youtube of a 97 prelude that cranks his car over for more than 30-40 seconds and then it finally starts, his problem was the ignition control module in the dizzy. I'll try to find the video again and I'll post the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwaZX...UJg7v89HM8WEBs

Here it is! In his comments he said it ended up being a bad ignition control module in the dizzy.