Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   need help! 1993 accord dies while driving (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/need-help-1993-accord-dies-while-driving-3009153/)

boostedh22fag 12-18-2011 06:44 PM

need help! 1993 accord dies while driving

My girls 93 accord suddenly dies while its driving and just coasts with all the electrical stuff on. Then it will just crank over but not start. She said to get it to start she disengaged the shift lock and put it in neutral, took the key out of that then it started right up. In the past when it was rainy it wouldn't start it would just crank over but it has been a few months since it did that. I haven't noticed and cracks in the distributor or Ive heard it may be a problem with the ignition module. Please if anyone may know anything about this.

GhostAccord 12-19-2011 06:36 AM

Re: need help! 1993 accord dies while driving

Could be the main relay needs to be soldered/replaced. There is a lot of information online related to diagnosing and fixing the infamous Honda main relay issue.

I have never personally had to deal with the main relay issue. However, I did have an issue with my ignition control module. It wouldn't start at all after it quit. No spark. Seems as though your issue is more of an intermittent problem, main relay or maybe a coil issue.

StreetsideStig 12-19-2011 12:17 PM

As usual, I agree with Ghost. Main Relays go out all the time, and really start to act up in when the weather changes, because that's when the soldering comes loose. The part is about 50 bucks at a parts store, or you can resolder it yourself.

Pull it out and take the cover off. If you have carbon scoring around the solder points, it needs work.

Bruce Banner 12-19-2011 01:00 PM

Could it be his dizzy?

Rainydrought 01-16-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by GhostAccord (Post 46540956)
Could be the main relay needs to be soldered/replaced. There is a lot of information online related to diagnosing and fixing the infamous Honda main relay issue.

I have never personally had to deal with the main relay issue. However, I did have an issue with my ignition control module. It wouldn't start at all after it quit. No spark. Seems as though your issue is more of an intermittent problem, main relay or maybe a coil issue.

My 93 Honda accord died on me while driving and will not restart. I changed the plugs and wires but the plugs are not getting fire, please help

Crxh22ajdm 01-16-2013 05:28 PM

^^ maybe a bad coil, or something in the distributotr.

Crxh22ajdm 01-16-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by boostedh22fag (Post 46539104)
My girls 93 accord suddenly dies while its driving and just coasts with all the electrical stuff on. Then it will just crank over but not start. She said to get it to start she disengaged the shift lock and put it in neutral, took the key out of that then it started right up. In the past when it was rainy it wouldn't start it would just crank over but it has been a few months since it did that. I haven't noticed and cracks in the distributor or Ive heard it may be a problem with the ignition module. Please if anyone may know anything about this.

That happen to me and guess what, it was my timing, I dont know how but the tensioner was losed, I had a missing bolt in there, and only somethimes the car star, then while driving it the car will died, I part out the engine and tranny and got ab H22A with only 59xxx on it :)

SlowDA9teg 01-16-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rainydrought (Post 48343262)
My 93 Honda accord died on me while driving and will not restart. I changed the plugs and wires but the plugs are not getting fire, please help

Same problem I'm having. I decide to have my battery,and alternator checked at the parts store and bought a new ignition control module and got a backup main relay at the junkyard. All I have to do now is hookup everything up and hopefully it starts .ill let you know how it goes so I can hopefully give you an idea of what it was in case you don't find it before me

GhostAccord 01-16-2013 07:20 PM

More than likely the ignitor (Ignition Control Module) inside the distributor.

ozmannnnn 01-18-2013 12:30 AM

before jumping the gun try cleaning your battery terminals, grounds, etc