Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   OBD1/ECU and tuning (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/obd1-ecu-tuning-3008166/)

sojara 12-14-2011 10:53 PM

OBD1/ECU and tuning

Hi all,

I have another question; this one is related with ECU/OBD-1 and tuning…
Let me explain the whole story.

When I bought my BB1 it was tuned at approximately 240 HP. There were some upgrades: Honda Accord Type-R camshafts, Skunk2 intake manifold & throttle body 76 mm, H&R cold air intake, SMSP style header, High flow cat – Magnaflow, Greddy EVO catback exhaust system...

Since this is my daily drive, and I’m not some young racer I did down-grade to stock.

I bought stock ECU fot BB1, because I didn’t want to spend money on addition downgrade tuning. So ECUs were just swapped.

But back home, when I looked that “tuned” ECU it looked so “normal”. I googled the model (37820-P28-A01) and found out, that this is for D16Z6 or Civic Si,Ex (OBD-I Honda ECU Connector Guide)

And here is my question – is it possible to use this ECU with proper tuning on prelude and get out of it 240 HP? My guess is, that’s not possible and they gave my wrong ECU…

I forget to mention - previous owner claimed, that he bought it in US, that it was larger than stock one (this one it’s not), and he spent 400$ on it. This one is a lot cheaper on ebay – example: 93 92 94 95 HONDA CIVIC 1.6L M/T ECU #37820 P28 Virgin D16z6 Manual 5 speed OEM | eBay

bigblue7t6 12-15-2011 08:57 AM

Re: OBD1/ECU and tuning

The p28 Ecu they gave you probably did come out of your car, the p28 is a popular Ecu to tune, they are common. You can really take any obd1 honda ecu and make it run a obd1 engine, it will just run poorly without the proper air fuel mixtures and vtec engagement points. What did you happen to do with all of the stuff you took off of your lude?

bigblue7t6 12-15-2011 09:03 AM

Also, the second question you had about the 240hp out of it with all of the stock parts back on it, probably not gonna come close. The tune on the ecu is unique to the parts that were installed on the engine at the time the tune was made to compliment the way they cause the engine to perform, although if you did put the p28 ecu back in and had another tune on it you may get a few more horsepower out of it than the stock ecu

sojara 12-15-2011 09:49 AM

Thanks for explanation…meanwhile I found out the same facts :)

Yeah, I know that with stock parts and stock/oem ecu for BB1 I will not come even close to those 240 HP. Having in mind, that this is my daily drive, I think that oem 185 HP will be enough…at least for now ;)

All stuff is for sale (but unfortunately I’m living on the other side of Atlantic)…

A Blue Lude 12-15-2011 01:27 PM

The code base in the OBD1 Civic and Integra ECUs is more widely understood, so they are usually used for tuning instead of Accord and Prelude ECUs.