Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Helicoils, why do they not work? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/helicoils-why-do-they-not-work-3006285/)

Jimster480 12-08-2011 03:49 PM

Helicoils, why do they not work?

So long story short I loaned my car to someone to drive to work and they blew the headgasket, overheated my block and made the threads break from the block. So we retapped the block with the new size for the helicoils. We installed the helicoils and when we screwed the ARP studs into them, the coils didnt hold the studs at all. As soon as we started tqing down on the nuts, the studs just came right up out of the block. Finally getting frusterated with it we installed bolts, which seemed to hold. That lasted about a day, before the headgasket is either damaged again, or the head is loose, because the motor is back to boiling the coolant if you give it any gas at all.

nealnanoHX 12-08-2011 04:08 PM

Re: Helicoils, why do they not work?

Helicoils work great on smaller stuff, but for head bolts forget it a new block is a must. For example I had to helicoil one of my cam cap threads, worked great no issues.

SPOOLINmatt 12-08-2011 04:14 PM

TIME CERT

/thread

Jimster480 12-08-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX (Post 46487927)
Helicoils work great on smaller stuff, but for head bolts forget it a new block is a must. For example I had to helicoil one of my cam cap threads, worked great no issues.

yea except the local machine shop owner has a car with oversized headstuds that runs helicoils on 600WHP on his SR20

ZLboosted_EG 12-08-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimster480 (Post 46487990)
yea except the local machine shop owner has a car with oversized headstuds that runs helicoils on 600WHP on his SR20

Probably has to do with the oversized studs. Ask him to do the same to your block

Jimster480 12-08-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ZLboosted_EG (Post 46488044)
Probably has to do with the oversized studs. Ask him to do the same to your block

nah that would cost a fkload. Also I cannot take the motor out of the car. And I just looked up the time cert thing, and its the same exact sh1t as helicoils... Drill, tap, insert..

West Werks 12-08-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimster480 (Post 46488062)
nah that would cost a fkload. Also I cannot take the motor out of the car. And I just looked up the time cert thing, and its the same exact sh1t as helicoils... Drill, tap, insert..

Not really, here(from time-serts site):

What are the specific advantages of TIME-SERT over Helicoil or coil style inserts?

TIME-SERT® is a thin wall, solid bushing, self locking insert with positive placement.

TIME-SERT® inserts are a thin wall solid bushing insert. This guarantees easy installation and allows for full load use of tapped hole, ensuring protection against stress and vibration.
TIME-SERT® inserts are "timed" internal to external which gives a very thin wall thickness which means TIME-SERTs can be installed in areas of limited space and clearance.
TIME-SERT® being a solid bushing insert gives it added strength, easily withstands high temperatures without damage or deforming. TIME-SERT® inserts have no prongs or tangs to break off or deal with down in the hole, which can be a problem in deep holes.

TIME-SERT® inserts are self-locking having an actual locking feature which will prevent them from coming out when a bolt is removed. On installation the bottom few internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand into the mating external threads of the base material locking the insert in place.

TIME-SERT® inserts have a flange, which will give them a positive placement on installation for “accurate specific depths”. This ensures that the insert does not wind down into the threaded hole.
Thin wall, self locking , solid bushing insert with positive placement .

Customers have asked if they may also use Loctite® adhesives for additional strength. Yes you may due to the solid wall design. There is no danger of loctite passing thru the threads of the insert and locking up the bolt as in coil types. Time-Sert inserts are used in Aluminum, cast iron, steels and even some hard plastics. MADE IN THE USA

Turbo-LS 12-08-2011 04:55 PM

Time-setts are best but helicoils will work. I have two in my current gsr block and hold great. Have to do a really good job with the jbstallation

LocoJoe 12-08-2011 05:09 PM

In a last resort, you can fill the hole with aluminium and make the thread again.

West Werks 12-08-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by LocoJoe (Post 46488203)
In a last resort, you can fill the hole with aluminium and make the thread again.

How do you plan on getting the electrode 3.5" or more down in a .500 hole?

Or are you speaking of the ghetto way and just welding the top of the hole, tapping that and running a "custom" shortened stud/bolt???

LocoJoe 12-08-2011 05:23 PM

IDK, cant u melt aluminium to get it liquid? Nevermind I think my idea sucked anyways.... LOL

Jimster480 12-08-2011 05:46 PM

lol well idk because all the holes are tapped an there are helicoils in there. And I had a helicoil in my previous block and it never had an issue.

EsotericImage 12-08-2011 06:46 PM

I know Northstar engines had issues with their heads stripping if any type of service needed to be done. GM says to use heli-coils to fix the issue..

maybe whoever did it fuct the whole thing up?

Jimster480 12-08-2011 06:49 PM

Me and my father did it lol

Tony the Tiger 12-09-2011 03:07 AM

Helicoils require precise drilling especially for such a deep thread on the block.

Many guys just use a hand drill, but afterwards, the new tapped thread is probably too loose to accept the new helicoil properly, and then pull out afterwards.

Many cases too, is that when the old threads are stripped, the surrounding aluminum is also severely fatigued/stressed. The next size up on the Helicoil drill size may not be enough to remove all the stressed material. So by cutting a new thread and inserting a Helicoil into fatigued/stressed aluminum, it will easily pull out the threads again.

So for stripped headbolts, transmission bell housing to block threads, engine mount threads, etc.. It's better to use a Timesert or similar thread insert.

shanebadoo 12-09-2011 03:23 AM

What Tony the tiger said. Also, Timesert sells a kit for stripped helicoils. This is the kit you buy when you've tried to repair your block with helicoils and failed.

DDTECH 12-09-2011 03:57 AM

Timesert, jimster. I would assume with all the money you're making from selling CS hacks / cheats you would be able to fix this with ease..

Snap-on and matco both sell timecert kits too... I suggest since you've already damanged , go a bit bigger, i believe ARP makes a bigger bolt, you'd need to check.

Jimster480 12-09-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 46490057)
Timesert, jimster. I would assume with all the money you're making from selling CS hacks / cheats you would be able to fix this with ease..

Snap-on and matco both sell timecert kits too... I suggest since you've already damanged , go a bit bigger, i believe ARP makes a bigger bolt, you'd need to check.

yea but business isnt so great these days, and ive got a fkload of bills. so i havent had much, if any disposable income.

Also we didnt drill the hole. we just directly tapped it up 1 size.
And the old threads didnt strip. They just straight up separated from the block.