Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   Searched, Couldn't Find: Pic of Coolant Drain Plug on Engine Block (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/searched-couldnt-find-pic-coolant-drain-plug-engine-block-3004825/)

student23 12-04-2011 08:13 AM

Searched, Couldn't Find: Pic of Coolant Drain Plug on Engine Block

Hey everyone,

Changing the water pump on my 05 Accord V-6 and can't find the coolant drain plug on the engine block. Anyone have any pics or helpful advice? Thanks in advance!

redbull-1 12-04-2011 09:07 AM

Re: Searched, Couldn't Find: Pic of Coolant Drain Plug on Engine Block

See step number 7 of this engine block heater instructions:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...r_AII30203.pdf

BLKFLSH 12-04-2011 02:05 PM

I used the one on the other side of the block on my 03 V6. It has a nipple on it, to connect a drain hose. It's on the opposite side of the block, on the passenger side of the car.

student23 12-04-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 46460936)
See step number 7 of this engine block heater instructions:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...r_AII30203.pdf

Thanks a lot for the diagram. That was great!

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH (Post 46462298)
I used the one on the other side of the block on my 03 V6. It has a nipple on it, to connect a drain hose. It's on the opposite side of the block, on the passenger side of the car.

Hey, blkflsh. I really wish I could locate where that one is because I ended up with 4qts of coolant on the floor of my garage. haha If you have/find a picture any where, I could still really use it. Thanks a lot!

student23 12-05-2011 10:40 AM

I'm having a hard time getting my new timing belt on. It seems to be really tight (even with the tensioner compressed all the way). I ordered the kit from AutoPartsWarehouse. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

BLKFLSH 12-05-2011 04:48 PM

Did you compare the new belt with the old belt? The block drain is on the windshield side of the engine, not the bumper side. You may need a light under there to see it. Do you have a shop manual? Did you remove the tensioner, put it in a vise, compress it, then insert a pin to hold it, then re-install? Also, are you using the battery tie down bolt to hold the adjuster? You really shouldn't be guessing on this stuff. Make sure everything lines up (timing marks) before you put everything back together. Rotate the engine a couple times and recheck the timing marks. One tooth off will matter.

student23 12-05-2011 05:34 PM

Thanks a lot for the response. I was able to get the belt on...wasn't guessing on anything. I made sure everything was lined up at TDC. With regards to the bolt, I'll look around where you are talking about. I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't show the bolt that you referenced. Is there a nipple directly on the bolt? That sounds more like I was looking for and have heard about. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm in the garage working on it right now (reassembling everything). Thanks again for your input!

BLKFLSH 12-06-2011 03:32 PM

It looks like a bolt, with a pipe going through the head of it. You only have to loosen it, not remove it. Good luck.

student23 12-07-2011 04:31 PM

Found it. Great explanation. I'll post a pic later. Thanks again!

gwiffer 12-16-2011 10:32 AM

Since you already removed the water pump and the coolant has drained out, you shouldn't have to use the block drain.

Which TB kit did you purchase?

student23 12-20-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gwiffer (Post 46529318)
Since you already removed the water pump and the coolant has drained out, you shouldn't have to use the block drain.

Which TB kit did you purchase?

I hadn't removed the water pump yet when I was originally looking for it. Also, after replacing the water pump, I wanted to run distilled water through the cooling system and then drain all of it out at the end and instead of letting it go all over the floor by unscrewing the front coolant drain plug (which has a MASSIVE diameter) I wanted to drain it in a "clean" manner.

student23 12-20-2011 12:38 PM

Picture as promised

1 Attachment(s)
So I kept searching (thanks for not giving up on me BLKFLSH - haha) and finally found the engine block coolant drain plug with the nipple on the bolt. It is in a location that is pretty tough to get to but you can if you want to. Check out the picture that I took from the rear of the front passenger-side wheel well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps you as much as it would have helped me! :ugh:

gwiffer 12-20-2011 03:50 PM

Did it work? How much coolant did you get out from the drain nipple?

BLKFLSH 12-20-2011 03:54 PM

I forgot to put a drain hose on it, when I opened it I got a good splash of coolant. Can't tell you exactly how much came out, but I would guess about a quart. Put it this way, a lot less will come out, when you remove the water pump, if you drain this first.

student23 01-05-2012 08:08 AM

It definitely "worked". That's what it's there for. Quite a bit came out actually (much more than a quart). I wasn't flushing the system, just running the car multiple times with distilled water to "clean the system out", so I needed an engine block drain plug to get the coolant/water in the block out.