Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   50A igniton fuse keeps blowing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/50a-igniton-fuse-keeps-blowing-3004073/)

Teggerson 12-01-2011 11:10 AM

50A igniton fuse keeps blowing

Okay so I don't know if this could be my starter or my ignition switch.

So yesterday morning I went out start my car, and normally it cranks for like 5 seconds then starts up in the morning. This time when I cranked it, this burning metal smell came from under my steering wheel.

THE CAR TURNED OVER, and I drove it to work. When I left work like 5 hours later, turned the key to IION/Accessory dummy lights went on, but when I tried to crank it igniton fuse in the engine bay blew. Replaced it, did the same thing and it blew again.

Is there a way I can check to see if its my ignition switch or my starter?

Teggerson 12-01-2011 11:11 AM

Re: 50A igniton fuse keeps blowing

Or is it possibly a short somewhere to the starter?

Teggerson 12-02-2011 01:52 PM

BUMMPPPP

fcm 12-02-2011 04:39 PM

The starter power itself is not fused, it could be a problem with the starter solenoid or wiring between the ign. switch and the solenoid, [possibly the starter relay or A/T gear position switch if it's an automatic, or the starter cut relay if you have OEM security].

I would start by doing a bypass jump, using a jumper with a 30A fuse in it, if fuse blows the solenoid is bad if not, leave the solenoid unplugged and unplug the ign. switch and do a continuity to ground test on the starter lead, [black/white], from both ends if it is a standard, either end if an auto.

If there is continuity to ground the starter lead has a short, if it is a standard and continuity is found at the ign. switch end, the problem is before the starter relay, if it is from the solenoid end the short is after the starter relay, if your car is an auto you will need to put shifter into a gear or unplug the A/T gear position switch and test starter lead from both ends to narrow down the location of the short. 94

NOFX 12-12-2011 03:20 PM

Ever figure it out?

Teggerson 12-19-2011 12:04 AM

Yes yes, I followed all my wires from ignition and it splits into my alarm. I check my alarm wiring and found a fuse blown on my alarm. Since my car has remote start and the alarm blew a fuse connecting to the wiring to my starter. My alarm kept causing my car to blow the 50a fuse and not start.

Raymond99 10-23-2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teggerson (Post 46540212)
Yes yes, I followed all my wires from ignition and it splits into my alarm. I check my alarm wiring and found a fuse blown on my alarm. Since my car has remote start and the alarm blew a fuse connecting to the wiring to my starter. My alarm kept causing my car to blow the 50a fuse and not start.

Jow did you fix it?