Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Did my ECU go bad? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/did-my-ecu-go-bad-3000647/)

grunt111 11-19-2011 06:11 PM

Did my ECU go bad?

Here is the story 92 civic cx hatch with jdm b16a2. Had the original stock ecu with the swap this whole time and found a p28 to get it chipped with chrome with a b16 base map and rev limiter to have around. Once i swaped to ctr cams the original p30 ecu started to bog down on acceleration like if it had a clogged fuel filter wich it doesn't cause my fuel filter is only 3 months old even though it idles fine. Everything else is good to go with the car and the reason i say this is cause once i put my chiped p28 everything runs fine and pulls hard. So what is the deal with the stock ecu?

Resurrected_EJ 11-20-2011 04:54 PM

Re: Did my ECU go bad?

i am currently having a very similar problems mine was going great i put in some skunk2 pro2 cams and there went the neighborhood however mine doesnt really care which ecu i run and its very possible your ecu went bad bc the stock one runs better than the chipped and tuned one thats strange

grumblemarc 11-20-2011 04:56 PM

Putting in cams and no tune is not smart. How is the ECU supposed to know you've made modifications?

Resurrected_EJ 11-20-2011 05:15 PM

had mine tuned......car doesnt care im almost to a point of just parking it until i can brainstorm and figure something out

grumblemarc 11-20-2011 05:18 PM

After or before the cam install? If after then you need to get your money back. I also didn't see that timing was checked either.

Resurrected_EJ 11-20-2011 05:30 PM

i am pretty sure mine is the timing it ran ok after the tune for all of a mile and a half or two miles his response is that it was running fine when you left so yea i know shady mechanic but never the less got screwed and im to the point i would bet the house on cam timing its just frustrating

jdmadam 11-20-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by grunt111 (Post 46383420)
Here is the story 92 civic cx hatch with jdm b16a2. Had the original stock ecu with the swap this whole time and found a p28 to get it chipped with chrome with a b16 base map and rev limiter to have around. Once i swaped to ctr cams the original p30 ecu started to bog down on acceleration like if it had a clogged fuel filter wich it doesn't cause my fuel filter is only 3 months old even though it idles fine. Everything else is good to go with the car and the reason i say this is cause once i put my chiped p28 everything runs fine and pulls hard. So what is the deal with the stock ecu?

The ctr cams are very good cams but are still similar to stock cams so a tune is not required but it should be considered in order to get the benefits. It has nothing to do with the problems you are having with you motor. There is probably something wrong with the ecu or there is another elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Resurrected_EJ (Post 46387431)
i am currently having a very similar problems mine was going great i put in some skunk2 pro2 cams and there went the neighborhood however mine doesnt really care which ecu i run and its very possible your ecu went bad bc the stock one runs better than the chipped and tuned one thats strange

High lift camshafts must be properly installed and degreed because they can cause catastrophic engine damage and failure. They will place greater stresses on valvetrain components and cause higher rates of wear. you MUST use high performance valve springs, valves, retainers. A tune is also required.

grunt111 11-21-2011 08:51 AM

The crazy part about all this is that after all the research i did about the ctr cams to a stock b16 before i bought and installed them, no body ever mentioned the motor running like crap at acceleration. It was more of "yeah they are plug and play and get them tunned to get the best power out of them". The timing was confirmed less than 3 weeks ago, the fuel filter also fairly new, and the stock ecu is the one bogging down on acceleration and goes back to normal once i plug the chrome p28 ecu with just b16 base map and rev limiter. Also noticed the spark plugs looking somewhat fouled like its running rich. Also fuel consumption has gone alittle higher but i figured maybe the little more agressive cams had some to do with it but ill keep updating.

grunt111 11-24-2011 04:53 PM

Ok fellers I went to vato zone and decided to get a new o2 sensor wich its a bosch $54 bucks wich it's for a 2000 civic si. Once i installed it everything went back to normal and the bogging stopped. I guess my o2 was bad and just got worse by the time is put in my ctr cam swap. So there we have it another o2 sensor deal and yes like alot of people advise even though it was bad it did not throw a CEL so i guess i got lucky by guessing on the o2 when it comes to replacing parts.

apexi_rsx 11-24-2011 05:15 PM

good job on the fix! but sometimes O2 sensors go bad and don't throw a CEL. usually don't show a CEL unless the preheater on the o2 burns out not the signal.

sickrex123 11-24-2011 05:38 PM

wonder what would have happened if you just disabled the O2 sensor through what ever program you were using for tuning...

grunt111 11-24-2011 07:35 PM

Yeah that eacu its just a p28 with b16a2 base mad and rev limiter to 3000 rpm and yes it cleaned things up alot once i changed the o2 sensor

HondaScene 02-18-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by grunt111 (Post 46411104)
Yeah that eacu its just a p28 with b16a2 base mad and rev limiter to 3000 rpm and yes it cleaned things up alot once i changed the o2 sensor

HI, i just got my p28 to a p30 base map could my car be the same as yours? before my cel light wasnt on an after I got my ECU back it went on...

HondaScene 02-18-2012 08:10 AM

AND it runs like shit now also.

grumblemarc 02-18-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by HondaScene (Post 46884212)
HI, i just got my p28 to a p30 base map could my car be the same as yours? before my cel light wasnt on an after I got my ECU back it went on...

Again, what does it matter? You cannot run that P28 and an adapter harness AND pass BAR.
And weren't you the one running around saying that it ran okay?

Originally Posted by HondaScene (Post 46878433)
Can always get a p28 for like 100 or cheaper and get the basemap changed to a p30 works fine!