Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/detailing-130/)
-   -   How to protect your aluminum rims during winter? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/detailing-130/how-protect-your-aluminum-rims-during-winter-2996473/)

Safety_Driver 11-06-2011 06:39 PM

How to protect your aluminum rims during winter?

I always drove on steelies during winter time,
but this winter I decided to mount my winter tires on aluminum rims.

I would like to know is there any special way to protect them with some lubricant or spray against chemicals which they use to clean the streets and melt the snow during the winter.

If there is a same or similar thread, that I didn't see, please post the link to it!

Thanks in advance!

randomtask77 11-07-2011 07:31 AM

Re: How to protect your aluminum rims during winter?

Head over to your local hardware store and pick up a few cans of Plasti-Dip.

toyomatt84 11-07-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by randomtask77 (Post 46310988)
Head over to your local hardware store and pick up a few cans of Plasti-Dip.

If there is any clearcoat on the wheels, the Plasti-Dip could pull it off when removed. I'd suggest putting multiple layers of wax on the wheels.

TunerN00b 11-07-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Safety_Driver (Post 46308765)
I always drove on steelies during winter time,
but this winter I decided to mount my winter tires on aluminum rims.

I would like to know is there any special way to protect them with some lubricant or spray against chemicals which they use to clean the streets and melt the snow during the winter.

If there is a same or similar thread, that I didn't see, please post the link to it!

Thanks in advance!

Steel rusts. Aluminum doesn't.

Why does Al need protection from salt and cinders?

Besides that, both types of wheels are painted. Paint is the protection.

toyomatt84 11-07-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TunerN00b (Post 46313051)
Steel rusts. Aluminum doesn't.

Why does Al need protection from salt and cinders?

Besides that, both types of wheels are painted. Paint is the protection.

Aluminum oxidizes, bud (which, technically, is what "rust" is). It ruins the finish of the wheel rather dramatically.

Here's a polished aluminum wheel that has oxidized. And, it will take quite a bit of polishing to get it back to a mirror finish.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y1...2/IMG_1655.jpg

Salt and cinders promote oxidation on almost every metal.

TunerN00b 11-07-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 46314520)
Aluminum oxidizes, bud (which, technically, is what "rust" is). It ruins the finish of the wheel rather dramatically.

Here's a polished aluminum wheel that has oxidized. And, it will take quite a bit of polishing to get it back to a mirror finish.

Salt and cinders promote oxidation on almost every metal.

Actually, if you want to get technical, it isn't "rust" if it isn't iron oxide.

Really though, the only practical difference is that rust spreads (which is why it is often called "cancer" on cars), but aluminum oxide is a surface layer that actually protects the underlying metal from further oxidation (it won't spread).

Ignoring that, yes, completely unprotected metal will oxidize. Rather silly to have an unprotected wheel though. A coating of clear would have protected it (which is why most of them come coated). So would an adequate coating of wax.

Safety_Driver 11-07-2011 07:53 PM

Guess I know that aluminum does not rust, but I got used rims which have some curb rash where there is no coating. Also on the back of the rim where is the contact surface with the hub is also not coated.
So that's why I asked about protection.
I know that they will not rust and the oxidation will not spread but at least as toyomatt84 said their look will diminish a lot. And he also mentioned oxidation, so I'm not sure why are you arguing?

So the best way is to get a clear coat sprey and sprey them before install them, right?

doc@tirerack 11-08-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 (Post 46311654)
If there is any clearcoat on the wheels, the Plasti-Dip could pull it off when removed. I'd suggest putting multiple layers of wax on the wheels.

Yep, this !

toyomatt84 11-08-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TunerN00b (Post 46315072)
Actually, if you want to get technical, it isn't "rust" if it isn't iron oxide.

Really though, the only practical difference is that rust spreads (which is why it is often called "cancer" on cars), but aluminum oxide is a surface layer that actually protects the underlying metal from further oxidation (it won't spread).

Ignoring that, yes, completely unprotected metal will oxidize. Rather silly to have an unprotected wheel though. A coating of clear would have protected it (which is why most of them come coated). So would an adequate coating of wax.

Well, to be honest, Aluminum can rust. It occurs when the metal is exposed to something that inhibits the aluminum's ability to shield itself (mercury being one of these elements). For more information, feel free to read this article from Popular Science: http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...sting-aluminum

Safety_Driver 11-08-2011 04:41 PM

What kind of wax, particularly will be good protection?

I currently have Turtle Wax for tar removing.
Can I use it?

Thanks in advance!

toyomatt84 11-08-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Safety_Driver (Post 46321518)
What kind of wax, particularly will be good protection?

I currently have Turtle Wax for tar removing.
Can I use it?

Thanks in advance!

That'd be a question for the Detailing forum, to be honest. I would advise something that is designed for metal use, though.

Safety_Driver 11-09-2011 07:56 AM

О.К.

Thanks a lot guys! :thumbup:

Safety_Driver 11-14-2011 07:26 PM

Re: How to protect aluminum rims during winter?

:bump:, because was moved from another forum. :-)

dlo253 11-15-2011 09:37 AM

Clear coat...all aluminum rims should have clear coat over them IMO. Makes everything easier.

2005AcuraEL 11-15-2011 06:31 PM

Is there any way to remove oxidation once it has started on aluminum rims? I just bought my car and the stock rims are in pretty rough shape around the centre caps.

(. )( .) 12-04-2011 08:01 PM

just wash the wheels every other day. unprotected wheels can get pits in them and corrosion can happen. keep them waxed and wash them good. you'll be fine

motegicivic 12-05-2011 07:25 AM

Any wax will do, just apply and wipe off do it every few weeks.