Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   95 Accord Redline question/issue (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/95-accord-redline-question-issue-2968791/)

MySelfAffliction 08-13-2011 10:59 PM

95 Accord Redline question/issue

Alright as stated in the title, I have a 95 Accord non vtec. I bought it not too long ago and went to take it up through the rpms and I felt virtually no power once I got to like 4k rpms, then bam rev limiter at like 4500 rpms or so. I then looked online and it is saying I should have a redline at 6500. If that's the case what could be causing it to not have any more power up top and to redline at such an early rpm? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

holmesnmanny 08-14-2011 12:41 AM

Re: 95 Accord Redline question/issue

It's called limp mode. Check for stored codes.

MySelfAffliction 08-14-2011 04:41 PM

checked the codes and the check engine light comes on and stays on until I remove the jumper. Once the jumper is removed I have no check engine light....does this mean there's a problem with the ECU?

MySelfAffliction 08-15-2011 04:15 PM

Anyone? And to confirm the power loss and then rev limiter...power loss/no gain happens around 4300 and stays like that till about 4900 to 5k when it hits the rev limiter. As I said in my previous post, I did the code check and the check engine light would just stay on, but when I removed the jumper with the key still in the on position it would just go off like normal. Any ideas on what is going on?

GhostAccord 08-15-2011 04:43 PM

Solid CEL with the 2 pin connector jumped means that there are no stored codes.

The stock F22B2 only really makes power up to 5-5500 before it levels off. As far as the limiters go. There are 2 of them. They are set to 7200 RPM and 115mph. Does the CEL flash when your limiter hits? What does the car do when you hit this limiter?

Have you done any of the regular maintenance since you bought it? Or a record of any maintenance that has been done?

jdm 94 cd7 08-15-2011 05:06 PM

i have the same problem here..it stops at 45 or 5000 rpm...a buddy said it could be the speed sensor...cuss speedometer is not working either it works then dont work sometimes when i drive..help him and i get this problem fixed thnx

MySelfAffliction 08-15-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by GhostAccord (Post 45846135)
Solid CEL with the 2 pin connector jumped means that there are no stored codes.

The stock F22B2 only really makes power up to 5-5500 before it levels off. As far as the limiters go. There are 2 of them. They are set to 7200 RPM and 115mph. Does the CEL flash when your limiter hits? What does the car do when you hit this limiter?

Have you done any of the regular maintenance since you bought it? Or a record of any maintenance that has been done?

No CEL flash, just feels like I have hit the rev limiter just as any other car would feel. No I have't done any major maintenance on it just oil changes. I've had the car for about 6,000 miles. It's my DD and is a major beater haha. Not a clue what the previous owner has done with the car, I'm the second owner surprisingly. He bought it new in 95 and finally sold it to me.

MySelfAffliction 08-19-2011 06:21 PM

no one has an answer for this?

poorman212 08-20-2011 08:16 AM

And the last tune up was?

MySelfAffliction 08-21-2011 11:26 AM

How are plugs, wires, and air filter gonna solve this issue? Its not just that it's losing power, it's the fact that it redlines way earlier than it should.

poorman212 08-22-2011 03:03 PM

Good luck then.

MySelfAffliction 08-23-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 45885038)
Good luck then.

Lol it was a serious question, I'm wondering why you'd say that.

poorman212 08-24-2011 04:09 PM

Yes it was.

The rev limiter on the Pilot is more like a mis-fire, IMO(EDIT:CivicVtec23-this part).....and yes the 07 Pilot won't let you go to redline in park....put that Bi@#% in drive and stand on it, she'll go all the way....just don't tell the wife I know that, or that I know the point where the VSA will kick in on a corner.....anyway

You have no stored codes. So, a failing ign system can give issues at higher rpm's..studder, sputter that could seem like a rev limiter.

My 95 EX auto, every two or three months when I need to, I can stand on it (in Drive) and she'll go to ~6200 before shifting on her own....and PS-All stock and original motor and trans that is going to flip 370K tomorrow on my way to work.

CivicVtec23 08-24-2011 05:44 PM

I'm experiencing the same exact issue...not really a problem...but I wanted to seafoam the engine and at least engage vtec to clean as much buildup as possible.

Car: 1994 Honda Accord EX
Engine: OEM F22b I believe
Mod: None
Parts replaced: New NGK-R Vpower plugs, Msd Wires, New Distributor cap and rotor

Symptoms: either in park and or while driving the engine will not rev over 4500 rpms and it does seem to have an occasional stutter/hesitation thought it was ignition related, but everything has been replaced. It runs better, but still doesn't exceed 4500 rpms.

I know that we are experiencing the same problem...The CEL comes on when started then goes off like normal.

Could it be related to the Vtec Solonoid? or a clogged EGR valve? When would Vtec engage on the F22? 4500 or 5500?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!!

MySelfAffliction 08-24-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 45898527)
Yes it was.

The rev limiter on the Pilot is more like a mis-fire, IMO.....and yes the 07 Pilot won't let you go to redline in park....put that Bi@#% in drive and stand on it, she'll go all the way....just don't tell the wife I know that, or that I know the point where the VSA will kick in on a corner.....anyway

You have not stored codes. So, a failing ign system can give issues at higher rpm's..studder, sputter that could seem like a rev limiter.

My 95 EX auto, every two or three months when I need to, I can stand on it (in Drive) and she'll go to ~6200 before shifting on her own....and PS-All stock and original motor and trans that is going to flip 370K tomorrow on my way to work.

This car is a 5spd manual and it doesn't sputter or anything. It truly is hitting a rev limiter as if I was taking it up to it's true 6500 rpm redline that it's supposed to have, that's what has me tripped out on what the issue is.

CivicVtec23 08-24-2011 05:52 PM

An 07 pilot is a completely different engine for one its a V6 and is far from the 2.2 liter in our Accords.

JDM 94 cd7...My speedometer works fine and it still has this issue, I feel that replacing the speed sensor would do nothing but possibly fix your speedo or your problem could be the cluster itself.

Is there a way to clear any pending, or stored codes? can we remove a fuse like certain hondas?

GhostAccord 08-24-2011 07:01 PM

If all else fails check the VSS. If it is bad it could cause this issue.

To erase stored codes on an Accord it's the same process as most other 2001 and older Honda vehicles. Pull the backup fuse. or disconnect the (-) battery terminal for 30 seconds.

poorman212 08-25-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by CivicVtec23 (Post 45899041)
An 07 pilot is a completely different engine for one its a V6 and is far from the 2.2 liter in our Accords.

Well yes sir/mam, I was only using the 07 as a ref to the rev limiter "feel"-reading comprehension. as if you would have read the rest where I ref my 95 EX 4 cyl........I drive that car every day....and YES, she rolled over 370K today.

And you're not even sure what 4 cyl you have in your 94..."Engine: OEM F22b I believe".......:hammer:

MySelfAffliction 08-25-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by GhostAccord (Post 45899505)
If all else fails check the VSS. If it is bad it could cause this issue.

To erase stored codes on an Accord it's the same process as most other 2001 and older Honda vehicles. Pull the backup fuse. or disconnect the (-) battery terminal for 30 seconds.

the LX's were non vtec weren't they?

Steve Z 08-26-2011 07:22 AM

That is correct. My guess is that civicvtech23 's 94 Accord Ex is also an F22B2 none vtech motor. It's easy enough to check the stamp on the block. Standing in front of the car after raising the hood it's right at your left next to the bottom of the exhaust maniford cover. You'll see a small square on the block with the letters/numbers.

CivicVtec23 08-26-2011 01:48 PM

Actually my Accord is an EX which is a SOHC Vtec engine...will not engage obviously due to the fact that it doesn't exceed 4500 rpms..

I'm not here to argue with anyone...poorman...please don't question my knowledge of how to determine an engine code. I've owned the car a total of 4 days...My only concern is helping the thread creator and I since we are experiencing the same issue...Not here to argue over B/S Sir/Maam!

MySelfAffliction 08-26-2011 04:32 PM

Well mine's non vtec so I'm not sure why mine's redlining at 5k....it's effing weird. Never had a car do this before, except for when I had a vtec motor and it wasn't warmed up lol. Also if it would have been an engine code and went to limp mode....aren't all limp modes supposed to redline at only 3k instead? At least that's been my experience. So what the hell could be causing my car to redline at 5k rpms....that's 1500 rpm short of it's supposed redline?

jdmcertified909 08-26-2011 05:03 PM

ok since your a non v. check fuel pressure as well. check for vacuum leaks. fill a spray bottle with water. spray water on every SINGLE vacuum hose and listen carefully for a change in idle. also check around the intake where the intake meets the head. i had a 94 honda accord jdm f22b vtec and it had a leaking intake gasket causing my misfire and 4500 rpm limit. i would press on the gas go to 45 and drop to 35 then to 45 then to 35. and vtec would not engage. when i use to work at a honda shop i had a 96 accord same problem. it was one of the injectors not throwing enough fuel changed it and it was fine. so try fuel pressure. vacuum leaks with spray bottle. intake leak where it meets the head. and check ohms on injectors.

CivicVtec23 08-29-2011 09:04 AM

Myselfaffliction...please keep us updated if you find out what is causing this issue...I'm basically experiencing the same issue and I will continue to update this thread with any useful info I feel may help!

TheMuffinMan 08-29-2011 09:10 AM

Dumb question, but does your CEL come on at all? is there a possibility of a burnt or missing bulb in the cluster?

If you have a friend with the same car (94/95 DX/LX 5spd) swap the ECU's out and see if it still occurs.