Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Welding / Fabrication (https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/)
-   -   fast/easy fix for a stripped hole in the frame? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/fast-easy-fix-stripped-hole-frame-2966763/)

maxogsr 08-08-2011 11:25 AM

fast/easy fix for a stripped hole in the frame?

I just notice that my front passenger torque mount has a stripped bolt there... It's in the frame and not very accessible to tap...not much room there... Anyone has an easy fix?

kyden 08-08-2011 11:34 AM

Re: fast/easy fix for a stripped hole in the frame?

cut a hole in the rail, then weld it back up.

maxogsr 08-08-2011 12:03 PM

that's the long fix... I know it's gonna end up like this...

RickyLee53 08-08-2011 01:51 PM

Drill and tap bigger size, not going to get much easier. Access isn't bad if you can get the car on a ramp/jack and use an extension on the tap.

ronald55555 08-08-2011 01:58 PM

I would helicoil it if possible, that way you can still use the oem size fasteners and won't have 1 oddball fastener.

maxogsr 08-09-2011 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by ronald55555 (Post 45802839)
I would helicoil it if possible, that way you can still use the oem size fasteners and won't have 1 oddball fastener.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an helicoil?

Cause right now, the easiest I though will be to drill an hole on top and use a long screw and catch it from there...

RickyLee53 08-09-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxogsr (Post 45806366)
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an helicoil?

Cause right now, the easiest I though will be to drill an hole on top and use a long screw and catch it from there...

If you do that, please post pics in the "worst fab thread". Seriously, don't do that. Helicoil is like a spring. You have to drill bigger, tap then insert. It'd be easier to drill and tap to the bigger size.

maxogsr 08-09-2011 02:39 PM

Hey! I'm a racer so it dosen't have to look good...I just want my gear to get in when the car is load and I have to shift... It need to be fix for now... I'll cut and weld next winter!

I tried to find an extension for the tap but it seems to be hard to find... I did a couple store and couldn't find any...

k24em2 08-09-2011 05:27 PM

Drill it out and nutsert

that-guy 08-10-2011 06:56 AM

open the hole and just weld in a nut if its function over form. simple fix, and will only be as strong as the weld is thats holding it there