Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   94 Civic EX - is my engine interference or non-interference? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-civic-ex-my-engine-interference-non-interference-2945567/)

chevyd 06-09-2011 10:52 AM

94 Civic EX - is my engine interference or non-interference?

Sorry if Im a little car "stupid" this is my hubbys car but he is not sure of the answer either.

We have a 1994 Honda Civic ex 1.6l VTECH SOHC. We believe our timing belt went out and were wondering if we had an interface engine or a non interface. I can not find any info about this in google or other search engines so any help is greatly apprecitated!

thanks so much!

EJ1_CRIS_909 06-09-2011 10:57 AM

Re: is my engine interface or non interface?

Interferance. I believe most, if not, all of hondas engines are interferance engines.

NOFX 06-09-2011 11:24 AM

A lot of times if you look up the timing belt for the car there will be a note saying if that application (the vehicle) has an interference engine or not.

As I remember, all D-series engines (those are the SOHC engines usually found in '92-'00 Civics) are interference engines. I actually believe this is true for all Honda-built engines, though some of the engines used from other manufacturers are non-interference.

Btw, that engine should be, if it's the original engine, a D16Z6. This will be stamped on the front of the block, just to the vehicle's right of the header. This engine came in all '92-'95 Civic EX and Si trims, and also the '93-'95 del Sol Si.

Even if you decide to swap in another cheap engine, there are other options as well.

chevyd 06-09-2011 12:02 PM

how would i be able to tell if anything was damaged when the belt went out? we were driving and it started popping/backfire sounds and then just died and we couldnt start it. we have been told that is the timing belt. Does that sound right?

EJ1_CRIS_909 06-09-2011 12:11 PM

Pull the valve cover off, then the upper timing belt cover, and you should have more than enough room to inspect the timing belt.

1988montecarlos 06-09-2011 12:52 PM

the timing belt on the B18B in my civic snapped but i got lucky and there was no damage, if i were you id line up the timing marks and put a new belt on it and see if it runs fine, if i wouldve done that i wouldve saved myself time and money for the new headgasket/head bolts to put the head back on

98greensi 06-09-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by EJ1_CRIS_909 (Post 45432326)
Pull the valve cover off, then the upper timing belt cover, and you should have more than enough room to inspect the timing belt.

this is true but the easiest way is just to take the distributor cap off and look to see if the rotor is turning while cranking over the motor

i had a timing belt blow on me in my old motor and everything is fine, so u take a chance and buy the belt, possibly a new water pump while u have it apart and try it. the only other way is to take the head off, and look for bent broken stuff. but then you are into a bigger more expensive job

EJ1_CRIS_909 06-09-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 98greensi (Post 45432580)
this is true but the easiest way is just to take the distributor cap off and look to see if the rotor is turning while cranking over the motor

But if it may have skipped broken teeth, turning it over could result to damage to the engine that may not already have. The *safest* way is just to pull the vc and tb cover.

Former User 06-09-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by chevyd (Post 45432251)
how would i be able to tell if anything was damaged when the belt went out? we were driving and it started popping/backfire sounds and then just died and we couldnt start it. we have been told that is the timing belt. Does that sound right?

It's an interference engine. Install a new timing belt and then compression test the cylinders. For some reason, engine damage does not always result when the timing belt slips or snaps.