Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   White Smoke Pouring Out Of Exhaust, Sluggish, Hesitant (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/white-smoke-pouring-out-exhaust-sluggish-hesitant-2937445/)

onesikej8 05-18-2011 11:10 PM

White Smoke Pouring Out Of Exhaust, Sluggish, Hesitant

Alright HT,

I’m having some crazy problem with my car right now. It came at a random time. I was driving to work one day and my car got very sluggish and bogged down until I had to pull over. When I pulled over, I revved it a little just thinking it would work it’s way out of the exhaust (whatever it was), well white smoke (not steam) was pouring out. Still was idling very low at this point. I popped the hood to see if I could see an culprits to this issue. Nothing what so ever, not even a smell.

So, I take it back home right away and park it. Later on in the day (yesterday), I went for a ride to see how she was doing, well still sluggish and hesitant, didn’t bog down, no smoke, just drove very cautiously.

Then, today, on my way back from dropping my gf off at work, I got to this one stop sign and it started to drop in rpms while idling. This time it stalled and I started it back up right away. Then, it was idling (no exaggeration) 100 rpms. I was able to pull off and make it home. But as it was idling at a mere 100 rpms, it was puffing out white smoke like no other. I checked the radiator, it’s full. The oil isn’t milky. The head isn’t cracked because I am not overheating.

I did try a compression test and it read: Dizzy-155-145-150-145-TB. So, it is relatively in check.

I am running out of ideas, but still leaning towards the headgasket.
Any other ideas guys?

Thanks ahead,
Kyle

Townson 05-18-2011 11:13 PM

Re: White Smoke Pouring Out Of Exhaust, Sluggish, Hesitant

pretty sure thats a headgasket.

onesikej8 05-18-2011 11:15 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking .. it's just weird how nothing looks like it mixed (coolant and oil.. well in my case water and oil).. im ripping off the head tomorrow morning so we'll see

Jackrabbit4 05-18-2011 11:46 PM

after doing headgasket make sure you run the car prob still smoke for 5-10min to get the leftovers out an turn the heat on to get the new
coolant thru the whole car. make sure you have garage open can smell bad.

Dee_333 05-19-2011 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit4 (Post 45300896)
after doing headgasket make sure you run the car prob still smoke for 5-10min to get the leftovers out an turn the heat on to get the new
coolant thru the whole car. make sure you have garage open can smell bad.

Headgasket is a likely culprit, but you don't think its rings are screwed off, and the smoke is actually Blue, and not white? xD

JT Del Sol 05-19-2011 12:44 AM

let us know what happens, be interesting to hear the outcome

Jockone 05-19-2011 05:27 AM

Before you tear off the head get a block tester and check the car with that(follow the instructions)that will tell you if you have combustion gasses in the cooling system.

onesikej8 05-19-2011 07:38 AM

thanks a lot guys .. i am praying it is just the head gasket .. and no its not blue smoke haha it is definitely white.. i will check out autozone for the block tester

Jdm_driver4 05-19-2011 08:32 AM

coolant+ cylinders= white smoke
oil + cylinders= blueish smoke

basically you need that single-layer race head gasket now lol

onesikej8 05-19-2011 09:04 AM

well i just took off the oil cap and they say if it looks like a peanut butter gunk in it, it's the head gasket .. welll... there was that gunk in it

Jdm_driver4 05-19-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by onesikej8 (Post 45302829)
well i just took off the oil cap and they say if it looks like a peanut butter gunk in it, it's the head gasket .. welll... there was that gunk in it

basically what your car is tellin' you is that you need a single layer race head gasket lol

EJ8_Man 05-19-2011 09:09 AM

Take the head to a machine shop, and make sure the head surface runout is still within specifications. Aluminum likes to warp under high heat.

onesikej8 05-19-2011 09:34 AM

thanks guys and jdm driver why you want me to get a race head gasket lol .. i dont need my compression that high .. its a internally stock y8

Jdm_driver4 05-19-2011 09:39 AM

Because deep down in your heart you know you want that little bit of power lol

onesikej8 05-19-2011 10:44 AM

hahah youre a funny dude