Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   B16a2 oil pressure drops to near zero after warm (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/b16a2-oil-pressure-drops-near-zero-after-warm-2926176/)

$amGD3 04-21-2011 07:41 AM

B16a2 oil pressure drops to near zero after warm

Hey everyone,

I just installed a Depo electronic oil pressure gauge yesterday. Drove to school today and noticed that it's almost at zero psi on idle and the motor is warm,obviously. It moves when im on the throttle but I cant remember what psi.Car idles fine at around 1k and doesn't stall or anything. OEM oil light isn't coming on obviously

The turbo build has been on for a few months now so I would think if my bearings were bad, my motor would've been toast by now or my turbo. But it still pulls great, vtec still engages, compression test reads 210 on all 4 cylinders, turbo is brand new and there's not a single leak, no leaks on the motor. It's been running for months and nothing has been changed except the addition of this gauge.

The way that it's hooked up is I have a T from the back of the block with the stock oil sensor on one end, I have a short 3an line to the firewall where the oil pressure sender is,then there's another T and the feed line goes off the other end.

Bad sending unit??

evilclown312 04-21-2011 08:46 AM

Re: B16a2 oil pressure drops to near zero after warm

Are they vtec safety checks disabled in your tune? Because if the oil pressure is actually low, it should not be engaging. Also if it is really that low, it should not be running and somthing would be going wrong. Im thinking somthing is faulty like the guage.

$amGD3 04-21-2011 08:49 AM

Thats what i'm thinking, if it is that low, something should be and SHOULD HAVE been ****ed by now

non-VTEC 04-21-2011 06:05 PM

what kind of oil pressure (hot) are you getting over 3000rpm?

it could be a faulty gauge or faulty sending unit.

LightningTeg 04-21-2011 06:08 PM

What is it cold?

$amGD3 04-21-2011 06:21 PM

Talked to one of my buddy who owns a shop and he tells me the sender that comes with these gauges are shitty.

at WOT it read 55psi, idle at cold is at 25-30psi

wolve 04-22-2011 05:48 AM

you Teed the sensor of the feed line to what?

$amGD3 04-22-2011 07:09 AM

to another line thats hooked up to a tee coming off the block

BLaCKWiDoWSi 04-22-2011 07:27 AM

You aren't the only one with this problem with the depo oil gauge. Mine reads the same thing after it's warmed up. It actually reads at 10psi at idle. I hope your buddy with a shop is right about the shitty sending units because I was thinking about checking the bearings. I have a set of defi gauges in my other car which I might pull out and try. I stuck an autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge on there and after it's been driven a while it read at 15 psi at idle.

Not to hijack your thread but does the type r oil pump really flow more than like a b16 or b18c oil pump?