Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Mothers 96 Accord, front end roaring, increase with speed (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/mothers-96-accord-front-end-roaring-increase-speed-2918135/)

preludebro 04-01-2011 05:34 PM

Mothers 96 Accord, front end roaring, increase with speed

The front end of my moms car makes a roaring noise in the front end at higher speed rates. It sounds like the tires are making the roaring noise, but those aren't whats doing it. Shes afraid it's her tranny, but the tranny seems fine. It's smooth, shifts smooth, shifts correctly on time, no fluid leaks. I believe her wheel bearings are bad. Does this sound like a legit problem?

phootbag 04-01-2011 05:37 PM

Re: Mothers 96 Accord, front end roaring, increase with speed

Sure. Does the noise change as you CAREFULLY swerve left and right while driving? This loads the bearings and can help pinpoint which bearing is bad.

preludebro 04-01-2011 05:44 PM

Hmm. If I can recall, I do believe it quiets down when she turns or something. I'm not positive, but I'll have her try this and see what happens. Thanks.

singlecamsaint 04-01-2011 06:02 PM

mine hasa similar problem it does it turning right, i changed the driver side bearing and its still doing it. the passensenger side bearing had 0 play in it

phootbag 04-01-2011 06:06 PM

Wheel bearings can be tricky. Since they are a double-race bearing the right bearing can make noise when turning left and vice versa.

The RIGHT way to diagnose this is to raise the vehicle completely off the ground, a shop lift is ideal, and run the car in drive. Increase the wheel speed until you can hear the noisy bearing with a stethescope.

Careful you dont' kill yourself while doing this test. :)

preludebro 04-01-2011 06:10 PM

Yeah. It sounds like it's the driver side bearing. Stethescope... such a simple idea. lol. Thanks. Good thing theres a shop I can use with a lift. Singlecamsaint, is that your axle?

singlecamsaint 04-01-2011 07:14 PM

thats what im thinking or the intermediate shaft i just bought the car so i dont have much of a history... i was goning to just replace the driver side axle and intermeidiate shaft and see what happens

95halx 04-04-2011 05:06 PM

If the noise is still there or gets louder when turning right its the left front bearing and if gets louder when turning left its the right front bearing. hope this helps. Had it happen with mine but I just replaced them both. Noise gone

phootbag 04-04-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by singlecamsaint (Post 44991217)
mine hasa similar problem it does it turning right, i changed the driver side bearing and its still doing it. the passensenger side bearing had 0 play in it

Bearings usually make noise because the races get rough spots. You may not be able to measure any "play" in a noisy wheel bearing.

singlecamsaint 04-05-2011 03:15 AM

it wasnt my bearings after all, after raising the car on jackstands and running it to 40 mph i had a helper cut the wheel, the passenger side axle started shaking violently, this is the one ill be replacing. OP if you cant find the problem try doing this it helped me tremendously

phootbag 04-05-2011 01:59 PM

Awsome! A bit of diag saves LOTS of money.