Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   car shooting out thick white smoke. need help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/car-shooting-out-thick-white-smoke-need-help-2907542/)

jeresaur 03-08-2011 01:49 PM

car shooting out thick white smoke. need help

my 95 gsr has a previous blown headgasket ..but just the other day i added a little oil and the car started smoking alot through the exhaust and started putting...when i started accelerating more smoke came out so i pulled over and left the car at my couzins..what do you think the problem could be ?head gasket? a shop said headgasket and vavle job would be 950....750 for the headgasket repair

thanks

Spawne32 03-08-2011 01:54 PM

Re: car shooting out thick white smoke. need help

white smoke? blue tinted smoke? does it have a sweet smell to it? sounds like a head gasket imo, if they dont remachine the bottom of the head at least, the new gasket wont seal properly, imo it cost alot less to do it yourself if your any sort of mechanically inclined

Necromonger 03-08-2011 02:06 PM

White smoke? Does it condensate or disappear? If so it is probably coolant. If not, it could be some other fluid like transmission fluid if it is automatic.

Check your radiator for oil and check your dipstick(no not that one, the one on the engine) for water. If the oil is runny on the dipstick, you definitely have an engine problem. Could be head gasket which is relatively easy to fix or could be cracked block which is RIP engine.

SubversionX 03-08-2011 02:14 PM

Do a compression test; sounds like you may have a blown hg. Not to jump to assumptions though. Does your oil look milky? Is your coolant contaminated? Please don't pay nearly a grand just to change your hg. Just get a torque wrench and a gasket kit.

Spawne32 03-08-2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Necromonger (Post 44820724)
White smoke? Does it condensate or disappear? If so it is probably coolant. If not, it could be some other fluid like transmission fluid if it is automatic.

Check your radiator for oil and check your dipstick(no not that one, the one on the engine) for water. If the oil is runny on the dipstick, you definitely have an engine problem. Could be head gasket which is relatively easy to fix or could be cracked block which is RIP engine.

transmission fluid....in the exhaust http://smiliesftw.com/x/hs2ugh.gif

Necromonger 03-08-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 44820901)
transmission fluid....in the exhaust http://smiliesftw.com/x/hs2ugh.gif

Yes.. It can get into the engine. We diagnosed a vehicle with this problem like 2 semesters ago. We thought it was coolant but it wasn't. This only happens on auto trans though. Although it could also happen on manual trans, as water can get into the transmission housing and going through one of the bellhousing seals into the crank case where it gets picked up by the oil pick up and pump.

ej8_99 03-13-2011 04:07 AM

hmm that really sounds logical. i was so brain f***ed just now trying to figure out how transmission fluid get to the motor lol. but i agree, please dont pay that much for a head gasket replacement. its so simple

lostforawhile 03-13-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Necromonger (Post 44821158)
Yes.. It can get into the engine. We diagnosed a vehicle with this problem like 2 semesters ago. We thought it was coolant but it wasn't. This only happens on auto trans though. Although it could also happen on manual trans, as water can get into the transmission housing and going through one of the bellhousing seals into the crank case where it gets picked up by the oil pick up and pump.

it's very unlikely that water or manual transmission oil is going to go up against gravity and force itself through a seal, AGAINST oil pressure and magically make it's way into the engine, manual oil isn't pressurized, it's just going to leak out the case, usually auto fluid gets into the engine from a vaccume modulator on a transmission, diaphram fails,and vaccume sucks fluid into the intake. something else to look at, is your throttle body, most are heated with coolant, and a gasket leak or a crack will let pressurized coolant into the intake. I wonder how many early hondas were scraped, or needlessly fixed due to the coolant passage in the carburator? O ring fails, coolant is sucked into intake, car billows white smoke, must be a head gasket!! some honda's also have an oil cooler in the filter base with, guess what? coolant running through it. O ring fails, coolant gets in oil, must be the head gasket!!

ej8_99 03-13-2011 05:00 AM

^^smart guy
changed my mind about that