Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Strange problem. RPMS bounce and the car dies (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/strange-problem-rpms-bounce-car-dies-2898979/)

BladesTeg 02-16-2011 01:09 PM

Strange problem. RPMS bounce and the car dies

I've got a 96 Integra LS, with what I think is an electrical problem but I'm not sure. One of my friends tells me its either a bad ground or the dizzy, another is telling me it could be the ECU.

Symptoms:
  • Car starts fine and idles perfect for about 30 seconds.
  • Tach needle twitches first then bounces violently with no effect on the motor for about a minute.
  • Then the car begins to sputter occasionally
  • RPM's fall to zero and the car dies.

What I have replaced/fixed:
  • Cleaned IACV
  • Replaced Fuel Filter
  • Replaced Ignition Coil
  • Battery & terminals are fine
  • Wires and plugs have been replaced in the last 10K
  • No CELs

It used to only do this while driving, the rpms would bounce a little with no effect on the motor but every once in awhile it would cause the car to jerk. And this problem would come and go, happen one day and not the next with no change in the temperature outside.

pack92 02-16-2011 03:03 PM

Re: Strange problem. RPMS bounce and the car dies

How high are the RPM's jumping up to? Is it revving up and down while this is happening?

BladesTeg 02-16-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pack92 (Post 44675733)
How high are the RPM's jumping up to? Is it revving up and down while this is happening?

The jumping gets progressively worse. Starts off jumping 200-300 rpms then jumps as much as 4000. The car does not rev at all, it sounds like its just idling normally. But after about a minute or so of this the RPMS drop to 0 and the car dies.

pack92 02-16-2011 05:28 PM

Hmm dont know what that could be . I was going to say that if the car is idling up and down with the RPM it could be a vacuum leak but what your describing doesnt seem like that. Sorry I could not be of any help.

BladesTeg 02-17-2011 08:59 AM

Any other ideas? I'm going to try and replace the ICM tomorrow, but the screws are stripped.

Function7 02-17-2011 09:24 AM

This really sounds like a bad ignitor module (i.e. ICM). I've had it happen to me on my old car. The tach would jump up/down and the car stumbles off and on. Eventually it'll give out and the engine will stall and you won't be able to restart it.

BladesTeg 03-02-2011 07:34 PM

Problem fixed. It was the ICM plus a stripped wire. One of the wires was arcing to the ICM and fried the ICM.

::ek-4:: 03-03-2011 09:01 AM

I have the same problem, so glad there was another thread up to help me with my Teg. Thanks HT