Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   How many miles can u go on empty?!?! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/how-many-miles-can-u-go-empty-2898030/)

elliascool 02-14-2011 09:47 AM

How many miles can u go on empty?!?!

im my 97 accord 4dr auto ..... i would always go a few miles after the yellow gas light would go on but since i havnt drove it in a long time i forgot .... is there an exact number of miles u can go with the yellow gas light on? or the point where u cant start your car anymore ?!?!?!

quickster 02-14-2011 09:57 AM

Re: How many miles can u go on empty?!?!

I've driven 40miles once, but I wouldn't push it past 50. I never let my gas get below a half tank though if I can help it. The deposits at the bottom are most likely abrasive to your cars fuel system. It also would depend on how hard you are on the gas pedal. When I drove 40 miles it was on the freeway.

361 accord 02-14-2011 09:57 AM

30 miles-because it will go further but then the engine shuts off when you brake there is so little gas

kd97accord 02-15-2011 01:37 PM

last summer, when the light stayed steady on, i went just over 100kms

accordmatt 02-15-2011 02:31 PM

l think car will go 45 miles but suppose to cut off 3 times before ur done. and its not a good idea at all. all the dirt and junk in bottom of tank will clog injectors or possibly worse

holmesnmanny 02-15-2011 08:49 PM

I'll guess 0 miles ? I might be wrong though.

holmesnmanny 02-15-2011 08:50 PM

Seriously, though, I ran out of gas around 55 miles after the light came on once before but it was weird because it seemed like my clutch was going out since it only bogged when I tried to switch. It was weird.

poorman212 02-16-2011 03:28 PM

My two cents. When the light comes on, fill it up. Then since you know how much the tank holds and how much you put in, you know how much gas is left....then use your gas milage (avg per tank)...and there you go. Every fuel sender will be a little different as to when the light comes one.

JohnSFerr2387 02-16-2011 05:24 PM

DONT TRY IT. IT ISN'T GOOD FOR THE MOTOR. ONCE YOUR HAVE A QUARTER OF A TANK FILL IT UP. NO ONE SHOULD EVER DRIVE ON SUCH LOW GASOLINE. IT MESSES UP YOUR FUEL SYSTEM

darkninja11 02-18-2011 11:34 AM

Isnt that what a fuel filter is for? correct me if i'm wrong.

elliascool 02-18-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by darkninja11 (Post 44690108)
Isnt that what a fuel filter is for? correct me if i'm wrong.

yea true but over time it needs to be cleaned/replaced

nus_dogg 02-18-2011 08:02 PM

Keep doing it, and you'll be buying a new fuel pump soon. Doing it yourself would be a PITA cause you'll need to drop the gas tank to get to the pump or pay a shop which will cost you a leg and a arm to get it replace. Fuel keeps the Fuel Pump cool liked stated above.

Running it til the light comes on will cause the pump to run hot which wears it out quick!

elliascool 02-19-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by nus_dogg (Post 44693267)
Keep doing it, and you'll be buying a new fuel pump soon. Doing it yourself would be a PITA cause you'll need to drop the gas tank to get to the pump or pay a shop which will cost you a leg and a arm to get it replace. Fuel keeps the Fuel Pump cool liked stated above.

Running it til the light comes on will cause the pump to run hot which wears it out quick!

ok didnt know that thanx but dropping the gas tank is easy as heck tho so ....

nus_dogg 02-19-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by elliascool (Post 44699392)
ok didnt know that thanx but dropping the gas tank is easy as heck tho so ....

It's not too hard but when the welded nut that holds the two bolts for the gas tank strap turns along with the bolt when loosening it, that will tell you how hard it is when you have to drop the rear sub-frame to get the tank down. It's not easy where there's snow because those bolts underneath the car are rusted to sh!t.

ddh052286 02-19-2011 09:47 PM

You can go 0 miles on an empty tank.

elliascool 02-20-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by nus_dogg (Post 44699555)
It's not too hard but when the welded nut that holds the two bolts for the gas tank strap turns along with the bolt when loosening it, that will tell you how hard it is when you have to drop the rear sub-frame to get the tank down. It's not easy where there's snow because those bolts underneath the car are rusted to sh!t.

yea rusted bolts would make it impossible ...

Broke_not_built 10-20-2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by nus_dogg (Post 44693267)

Drop the gas tank? O_o never took your backseat out or what lol