Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   How do I lower my car? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/how-do-i-lower-my-car-2877555/)

jasonxman 12-26-2010 04:52 PM

How do I lower my car?

I have a Honda Civic DX 2000 coop
How do I lower my car and what do I need? I was wondering what the difference between lowering springs are and coilovers.. I want the cheapest method availiable,
So basically I want to lower my car to a legal standpoint.
Here is the website I'm buying it from.
http://passwordjdm.com/D2-Racing-Spr...3577C1543.aspx
Can I just buy these and give it to someone to install and my car will be good to go? I hear that it will wear down fast and my car could get damaged so that's why I get coilovers, but what I was wondering is does my oem civic have coilovers to begin with.. I mean it lasted me 10 years and have no problem so I don't see why I just can't replace my coils.

AL DENTE 12-26-2010 05:08 PM

Re: How do I lower my car?

I'm no expert on suspension but be careful with what you put on. Some brands are known to give the car a crappy ride. When you lower a car it causes it to handle bumps a lot different, and can cause a shaky/uncomfortable ride. Make sure you do your research and find something that your going to be happy with. The cheapest way is usually the worst way...I have ebay coilovers on my ek coupe, and I absolutely hate the quality of these things. Absolute crap. I'm actually kind of looking into this too, so keep me updated on what you end up with. Good luck!

98civdx 12-26-2010 06:10 PM

D2 sucks, don't bother.

Coilovers are adjustable, and lowering springs are not.

Seems you have been given a lot of misinformation, and you really need to search.

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 08:59 PM

dont waste your time with lowering springs. Coilovers are worth the money. If your lookng for cheap ones look at blox of function & form type 1's. They arent hard to install either. as long as your bolts arent rusted and come off OK then you could install them in an hour or two.

98civdx 12-26-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44299821)
dont waste your time with lowering springs. Coilovers are worth the money. If your lookng for cheap ones look at blox of function & form type 1's. They arent hard to install either. as long as your bolts arent rusted and come off OK then you could install them in an hour or two.

Please explain why you say dont waste your time with lowering springs?

Lowering springs are actaully great if your only looking for a mild drop and still trying to retain some comfort.

And if your going to say "cause you can slamm it or cause you can adjust them", dont bother.

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 09:24 PM

i have blox coilovers on my car and i have no problem with comfort. Coilovers really do not kill your ride quality as much as some people say they do. Yes, just installing springs is "cost effective" but they are hack. To everyone their own opinion.

Originally Posted by 98civdx (Post 44299848)
Please explain why you say dont waste your time with lowering springs?

Lowering springs are actaully great if your only looking for a mild drop and still trying to retain some comfort.

And if your going to say "cause you can slamm it or cause you can adjust them", dont bother.

98civdx 12-26-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44299911)
i have blox coilovers on my car and i have no problem with comfort. Coilovers really do not kill your ride quality as much as some people say they do. Yes, just installing springs is "cost effective" but they are hack. To everyone their own opinion.

Im not saying coilovers do kill your ride quality, however most coilovers run much higher spring rates then lowering spings. High spring rates WILL kill your ride quality.

Ride quality is very subjective, so what you feel is completely differenet then what I would feel or someone else would.

Lowering springs are not a Hack either, I would put money on a lowering spring and a decent shock would out perform those crap coilovers.

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 09:33 PM

im not saying the blox coilovers are great performing, and yes a good spring/shock setup would probably out perform them. What is hack is when people put lowering springs on the stock shocks. That is what i was talking about

98civdx 12-26-2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44299951)
im not saying the blox coilovers are great performing, and yes a good spring/shock setup would probably out perform them. What is hack is when people put lowering springs on the stock shocks. That is what i was talking about

You need to be more specific. Also, there are loweing springs desgined around useing stock shocks.

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 09:38 PM

im aware of this

TahitianGreen 12-26-2010 09:41 PM

OP: ask yourself which category you fit in:

1- The car is your daily, you want to retain comfort and stock feel, be able to clear obstacles, and be a bit lower.....go for springs
2- The goal is to be as low as possible....coilovers
3- Optimal handling...Koni Yellow/GC or nice coilovers cornerbalanced with sticky tires

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by TahitianGreen (Post 44299990)
OP: ask yourself which category you fit in:

1- The car is your daily, you want to retain comfort and stock feel, be able to clear obstacles, and be a bit lower.....go for springs
2- The goal is to be as low as possible....coilovers
3- Optimal handling...Koni Yellow/GC or nice coilovers cornerbalanced with sticky tires

:thumbup:

98civdx 12-26-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44299971)
im aware of this

:hammer:

Then how is it a hack to use springs made for stock shocks on stock shocks?

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx (Post 44300001)
:hammer:

Then how is it a hack to use springs made for stock shocks on stock shocks?

its hack when people just throw random springs on there thinking they will have some great performing suspension setup. I dont feel like getting into an argument about whats "hack" or not. lets just give the op the information he wants.

98civdx 12-26-2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44300022)
its hack when people just throw random springs on there thinking they will have some great performing suspension setup. I dont feel like getting into an argument about whats "hack" or not. lets just give the op the information he wants.

Now your just pulling things out of your ass. No proof to back anything up.

I dont feel like arguring either, however when people such as yourself post BS information, I sudenly want to.

nospoolDC2 12-26-2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx (Post 44300026)
Now your just pulling things out of your ass. No proof to back anything up.

I dont feel like arguring either, however when people such as yourself post BS information, I sudenly want to.

its not BS information. in my OPINION lowering springs arent that great of an investment when not accompanied by a good shock setup. Your not exactly backing up your information about how great lowering springs are either. so you can stop sh*ting up the op's thread. done/

98civdx 12-26-2010 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44300061)
its not BS information. in my OPINION lowering springs arent that great of an investment when not accompanied by a good shock setup. Your not exactly backing up your information about how great lowering springs are either. so you can stop sh*ting up the op's thread. done/

U mad?

Anyways, all I wanted was you to prove lowering springs to be a hack which you have failed at.

Op, I would start by looking at progress coilovers, they are cheep, and perform very well.
They wont slam your car, but they will leave you will nice ride and a good handling car.
Koni/gc will do the same, but wil leave you will the option to slam your car if you choose to.
They will also give you the abiltly to have custom spring rates, and a life time warranty on everything. I belive the Progress coilovers also have the option for custom spring rates.
The koni/gc will cost you about $799.

There is also the functionform type 1,2, 2.5, and many other manufactors.

Lowering you car, will cause your car to toe out, this is what will kill your tires. It is very important to have your car aligned after lowering it, to have your toe set to OEM spec. This will help, if not stop nearly all abnormal tire wear. Camber does wear your tires, but it doesnt do it fast, unless your runing a lot of negative camber. A little camber mixed with toe being messed up will really wear your tires fast.

Yes, any suspension you choose, could be taken to someone to install, however I highly reccomend doing it yourself. It will help you learn more about your car, and save you some money.

98civdx 12-26-2010 10:39 PM

There are also, H&R, and Eibach lowering springs, which would do well with some sort of shock, Koni STR-T is a great shock.

2000em1boycivic 12-26-2010 10:42 PM

lol well if you want the cheapest way just cut your springs but u can but lowering springs but coilover would be the best becuase then u can lower it of lift it up as much as u want but you should buy some brand names ones for the best ride comfort

PatrickGSR94 12-27-2010 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by nospoolDC2 (Post 44300061)

lol guess what - I run STOCK springs on Koni Yellow sport shocks! IMHO they're a great investment (shocks have nearly 200K miles on them and still work great), car has a great lowered daily driving stance, and much of the stock ride quality is retained. :thumbup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/DSC_5736.jpg

AyuDC5 12-27-2010 10:02 AM

Be aware that lowering your car can throw off your alignment. If you don't fix the alignment, you would end up having uneven ware patterns on your tires and have to replace your tires often. There are camber kits available and many other options to fix your alignment.

From my experience, coilovers are great for adjusting to the height that you desire. They tend to be, how would I say this... kind of uncomfortable at times. Does not really bounce back or is too stiff. I have Skunk2 coilovers, by the way. I have problems getting out and into places even at a safe height. Also, pot holes and street work are the worse to drive in with a lowered car.

I have heard that springs and shocks would be the best combo for comfort. Make sure you pick your desire height when you get springs since they are only adjusted at one height.

Don't waste your time buying cheap suspension parts. It would be wise to purchase parts that will not leave you on the side of the road, and maybe repair expenses, and worse case it can be fatal. Up to you, I wouldn't spend money replacing cheap parts all the time and instead buy parts that are in high quality to last longer. And if it's a daily car, you might be better off not messing with the ride height.This is only from my opinion and experience. In order to gain something, you must lose something right?

PatrickGSR94 12-27-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by AyuDC5 (Post 44301949)
Be aware that lowering your car can throw off your alignment. If you don't fix the alignment, you would end up having uneven ware patterns on your tires and have to replace your tires often. There are camber kits available and many other options to fix your alignment.

Well hopefully most people on this forum by now would know an alignment is needed after changing suspension parts, but hey you never know. However in most cases a camber kit is NOT needed. Correcting the toe will prevent MOST tire wear issues in MOST cases.