Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Gas and white smoke from exhaust!!! Help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/gas-white-smoke-exhaust-help-2850650/)

fire_fighter97 10-18-2010 08:57 AM

Gas and white smoke from exhaust!!! Help

Hello Everyone,
Im looking for some help my 1990 honda accord is running rough and dripping gas out of the exhaust with some white smoke at an idle. check engine light is on while its runs but when its just in the on position the light turns off. Ive changed the wires 3 of 4 plugs (the last one was a little sticky so i didnt want to force it) and the distrebutor. i havent had a chance to do the timing. Please help calling the tow truck in the next 30 minutes!! I wish i could do the repairs myself but im stumped.....

thanks again,

chikin pickle 10-18-2010 12:18 PM

Re: Gas and white smoke from exhaust!!! Help

How do you know that it is gasoline?

Is your car using coolant at all? Usually white smoke indicates the car is burning coolant, which would indicate a cracked water jacket/heads or blown head gasket.

fire_fighter97 10-18-2010 12:27 PM

Heavy fuel smell coming from the smoke also when you put your hand into the leak it smells like gas 100%. I checked coolant nothing is being burned up or mixing with oil.

chikin pickle 10-18-2010 12:36 PM

Hmmm.
Well I would take a peek at your oxygen sensors. If one of them is falsely indicating a lean condition in the engine the ECU would add more fuel to compensate.

Pull the check engine code. I'm betting it is for your oxygen sensor.

fire_fighter97 10-18-2010 01:05 PM

Do you think if a wire was grounded. it would cause the number 1 cyclinder to stay completely open. Thats what the mechanic is saying he wants $400 bucks to fix. He said hes checked the ECU and determined that is the problem. Is this easy to find if thats the problem. Thanks again

chikin pickle 10-18-2010 03:13 PM

What do you mean completely open? As in the valves are not opening? The circuit is open?

That sounds super fishy and vague to me.

fire_fighter97 10-19-2010 09:08 PM

The injector is staying open and not being burned in the cylinder and pouring gas down the exhaust along with white smoke. Any help you can send would be appreciated

chikin pickle 10-19-2010 11:04 PM

Umm, well I would check out the injector before looking at the wiring. Injectors can get clogged, or stuck open in certain cases. Try running some injector cleaner through it and see if that helps any. The fuel injectors on your car are switched on when power is applied to them. (As opposed to switching ground devices, which switched on when the circuit is completed by connecting the ground)

So if the wires had shorted to ground the injector wouldn't be firing at all. It is possible for the injector wire to short to another power source, which would cause the injector to remain open. However when left undisturbed there really isn't much chance that would happen. The injector containing a mechanical assembly, the injector itself is much more prone to failure than the wiring connected to it.

Try disconnecting the injector from it's plug. If your symptoms remain the same, you have a stuck/failed injector, especially if you don't have a CEL.