Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Transmission & Drivetrain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/)
-   -   LOUD Screeching noise when clutch pedal is pushed in. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/loud-screeching-noise-when-clutch-pedal-pushed-2841776/)

95hbMatt 09-27-2010 06:05 PM

LOUD Screeching noise when clutch pedal is pushed in.

Just picked up a 2000 civic si and was running fine and drove fine. on my way home the other night when slowing down and downshifting to second a screeching noise started and the car cut off, like the clutch wouldn't engage and shut off. started car back up with clutch pedal pressed in and loud screeching noise again..let off the clutch pedal and the noise goes away.

checked MTF and seemed very low...refilled with honda mtf and started her back up...no fix...tried bleeding the slave cylinder cuz the pedal felt a little spongey...still no fix...

it only does this upon startup of the car with clutch pedal pressed down and when shifting up to second or down to second...third through fifth gear no problems at all....also when the car is running in neutral if i barely press down on the clutch pedal you can hear the screech start up, then when pressed all the way down it gets loud...like metal on metal screeching noise...

any thoughts/suggestions????

also no noise when running idle...runs quiet until you press the pedal in

95hbMatt 09-27-2010 06:34 PM

Re: LOUD Screeching noise when clutch pedal is pushed in.

Could it be the throw out bearing?

Krut 09-27-2010 10:07 PM

I'd say its the pilot bearing because the only time that's doing anything is when the clutch is pressed in and that's when your hearing the noise. If your going to be dropping the trans though you might as well replace your clutch/resurface the flywheel and get a new throwout bearing too.

95hbMatt 09-28-2010 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Krut (Post 43641604)
I'd say its the pilot bearing because the only time that's doing anything is when the clutch is pressed in and that's when your hearing the noise. If your going to be dropping the trans though you might as well replace your clutch/resurface the flywheel and get a new throwout bearing too.

from what i've read when the clutch is not engaged and there is noise it's the pilot bearing but when the clutch is engaged and there is noise it's the throw out bearing...any light on this?

95hbMatt 09-28-2010 12:32 PM

so now when i start the car and press the pedal in to put in gear it stalls...wtf mate

CollegeKid1288 04-19-2011 02:45 PM

My 1999 Honda CRV just had this problem tonight. It has been sitting idle for a month while I was out of state. When I tried to start it up tonight I had exactly the same problems. Loud screech related to the clutch, and the engine is now stalling. Did anyone find resolution here?

94EG8 04-19-2011 02:53 PM

If you push the clutch in and it starts screeching the throwout bearing is bad.

B16/DelSol 04-19-2011 04:59 PM

I'm having the same problem. No stalls yet tho. I replace my slave cyl because it was a little leaky but to be safe im replacing the entire clutch assembly.

05foresterxt 04-21-2011 03:35 PM

It's the throwout bearing most likely. Might as well replace the pilot bearing and do a clutch job if it has been a while since it was performed.

95hbMatt 07-28-2011 06:40 AM

i know it's been awhile but tore my transmission apart and it was the small bearing located in the flywheel(input shaft bearing i think it's called)...came apart and all the bearings came out breaking all the splines on my pressure plate and caused the screeching noise and eventually lockig up...replaced both bearings(input shaft and throwout bearing), slave and master cylinder and put a stage 3 clutch in and 8lb mueller flywheel...all good to go now :)

94EG8 07-28-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 95hbMatt (Post 45732363)
i know it's been awhile but tore my transmission apart and it was the small bearing located in the flywheel(input shaft bearing i think it's called)

Pilot bearing, input shaft bearing is in the transmission.