Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire (https://honda-tech.com/forums/wheel-tire-56/)
-   -   Is there issues if one tire has a lower speed rating then my other 3? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/wheel-tire-56/there-issues-if-one-tire-has-lower-speed-rating-then-my-other-3-a-2834375/)

tnywy 09-11-2010 01:54 PM

Is there issues if one tire has a lower speed rating then my other 3?

Hey all,

Please help me out if you could - I need to replace a tire on my 2007 Honda Accord EX, and my tires currently have v rated tires. But there's a nail in one of my tires and I'll need to replace it. Would it be disadvantageous to have one of my tires have a H-rated tire and different from the rest? I don't drive any more than 80 mph usually, and I only drive it to work and occasional short trips to restaurants/markets. Help please?

nsxtasy 09-11-2010 02:39 PM

Re: Is there issues if one tire has a lower speed rating then my other 3?

Yes and no.

It shouldn't be a problem to use tires with different speed ratings because of their speed rating, as long as you're not exceeding the speed for the lowest speed rating you have - in this case, 130 mph for the H rating.

However, it's a bad idea to use tires that have significantly different performance characteristics from each other. For example, if you have three grand touring all-season tires, it's a bad idea to mix them with one (or more) maximum performance summer tires, because they will behave differently from each other, and this different behavior can change depending on the conditions. It can not only degrade your car's handling, but also make it unpredictable. That's why it's best to use four tires of the same make and model where possible, and otherwise to mix them only with tires in the same performance category.

tnywy 09-11-2010 04:16 PM

Thanks nsxtasy. I thought that'd be the case. I'll pay the extra to get the same performance tire then

CountDracura 09-12-2010 05:16 PM

No tire or vehicle manufacturer will ever recommend mixing speed ratings. While you wont run in to many issues with top speed stability as nsxtasy has fore mentioned, the sidewall construction does change from speed rating to speed rating. If you are forced to mix speed ratings, it is recommended to place the higher speed rated tire on the rear so as not to induce over steer on turns in inclement weather.

Cooper The Tire Rack 09-15-2010 08:11 AM

Both nsxtasy and CountDracura (nice name, btw) have good points. In a pinch, I am not against selling a pair of H-rated tires if the same tire isn't available in V-rate. But that's as low a step I am willing to take. Going from V to T or lower may cause remarkable differences in handling, lateral roll, oversteer, etc.