Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   Rubbing noise after changing Brake Pads (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/rubbing-noise-after-changing-brake-pads-2830193/)

hpilot03 09-02-2010 02:27 PM

Rubbing noise after changing Brake Pads

Hi, I just replaced the brake pads on the front, and all seemed to have gone well - it was an easy job. Now after doing a test drive I have a rubbing noise coming from the right front side, the left is fine. I took off the wheel, caliper and pads, removed and re-greased the sliding pins on the caliper, checked that the rotor plate was not bent, to no avail, I still have the rubbing noise - it is NOT a grinding noise like the worn pads, but a rubbing noise. There is nothing on the tire, and no marks. The sliding pins are good.

With the car still on the jackstand, I put the car in Neutral, with no Ebrake, and started the car, the rotor spun with the same noise. So I know it is not the wheel causing the noise.

The only thing I can think is wrong/suspicious is that the caliper is quite tight on the rotor and I am not able to move it, but the sliding pins are fine. I bleed the brake system, the brake fluid is an orange or cooking oil color/colour, which I believe is fine. I pushed back the piston and then pressed the peddle a few time and the same issue.

I am out of ideas here, next step is to replace the caliper and rotor? Is there anything else I should try first. The rotor looks good but I am not an expert when it comes to rotors.

All and any help is welcome.

Drive 4 fun 09-02-2010 04:01 PM

Re: Rubbing noise after changing Brake Pads

The dust shields or splash shields are easily bent and can rub on the rotor. That is common, so a quick and easy thing to check.

TunerN00b 09-02-2010 05:08 PM

Since disc brakes drag the pad against the rotor lightly at all times, you might want to try a proper bedding procedure to see if it goes away. The old pad layer on the rotor might cause noises when rubbed against the new pad. If this is the case, then laying a new pad layer on the rotor surface will cure it.

Might not the be issue, but worth trying, and free if you have someplace you can safely do it.

hpilot03 09-03-2010 06:43 AM

Drive 4 fun: Thank you.. I checked this and it is fine, it looks good and not bent, and I see no contact between the plate and the rotor, and I had the noise when the wheel was off.. Thanks again.. Any other ideas?

hpilot03 09-03-2010 06:45 AM

TunerN00b: Thank you.. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you wrote, it was too technical for me. Could you write it again for someone obviously with less experience than you. Thank you.

hpilot03 09-03-2010 06:47 AM

Update: After driving 2 or 3 miles between last night and this morning the rubbing noise is either gone or is been reduced to an amount that I cannot hear anymore. I think it is still happening but to a lesser extent now.

Is this a clue for what it could be.

Drive 4 fun 09-03-2010 08:51 AM

Some new pads are so thick, and not yet bedded to "fit" the rotor, and may rub slightly in a spot. Basically chatter, vibration and MC pressure off allow the pads to release or get moved back from the rotor a few thousands and they to not always clear completely especially before bedding.

TunerN00b 09-03-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by hpilot03 (Post 43453569)
TunerN00b: Thank you.. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you wrote, it was too technical for me. Could you write it again for someone obviously with less experience than you. Thank you.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Simply stated, bed-in is the process of depositing an even layer of brake pad material, or transfer layer, on the rubbing surface of the rotor disc.

hpilot03 09-03-2010 11:45 AM

Got it.. Thank you for your time and expertise.

almostvtec 09-05-2010 04:51 PM

im having the same problem with my 92 integra but i replaced the rotors and not the pads and theres a constant rubbing noise when im driving down the road. i took it apart to see if i missed anything and it looks as if the pad is kinda wearing into the rotors on both sides. any ideas anyone?

Jonathan Cooper 09-06-2015 12:27 PM

I hope everyone at the bottom of the post realizes that the crossed piston you are referring to that needs turned clockwise is THE EMERGENCY BRAKE and has nothing to do with your caliper pushing your pads onto your rotors.

m4xwellmurd3r 09-07-2015 10:26 AM

Rubbing noise after changing Brake Pads

Originally Posted by Jonathan Cooper (Post 50519231)
I hope everyone at the bottom of the post realizes that the crossed piston you are referring to that needs turned clockwise is THE EMERGENCY BRAKE and has nothing to do with your caliper pushing your pads onto your rotors.

On top of this post being 5 years old, NOBODY is talking about the rear brakes. OP only changed is front pads