Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   How to bleed cooling system with no bleed screw (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/how-bleed-cooling-system-no-bleed-screw-2828549/)

Nkietzer 08-30-2010 12:35 PM

How to bleed cooling system with no bleed screw

I am looking for another method to bleed the cooling system besides the vent. It looks like someone has put a cheap aftermarket thermostat housing that has no vent.

jdadams12 08-30-2010 01:12 PM

Re: How to bleed cooling system with no bleed screw

Take some hoses off... perhaps a heater hose?

361 accord 08-30-2010 03:35 PM

first take the housing apart to make sure the air hole on the thermostat is up and not sideways, then put the bottom bolt most of the way in, and the higher bolt not-as-much so its kinda cracked open

uberEFtuner 08-30-2010 08:12 PM

You do need to rev the engine a little bit when you bleed the system. Is their something preventing you from using the bleeder bolt?

holmesnmanny 08-30-2010 10:23 PM

If you need to bleed 'cause you're refilling I would take the hose off that goes from the housing to what if I remember right is the EACV. Take off the eacv side then hold it to about level with the top of the thermostat housing. then when it start running out put it back on. Then start the car and refill when necessary, making sure to have the temperature dial for the heater on full red.

If you've opened up one of the idle control valves and are worried that you got an air pocket that isn't working itself out like it normally does I would lightly tap on stuff in the area with a rubber mallet.

I can't believe they even sell a thermostat housing without a bleeder valve though.

HondaPartsHero 08-31-2010 01:22 AM

What is the year, make and model?

Nkietzer 08-31-2010 05:56 AM

The car is a 93 honda accord 10 anniversary edition. It have felt all of the housing and the only screw on there is the one that has a sensor pluged in to it.

Mattb16teg 08-31-2010 07:03 AM

Simply remove the radiator cap, top off coolant.
Turn the car on and turn heat on full blast for 5 - 10 minutes to fully circulate the coolant.
Then turn heat off and let car run til the thermostat opens and the fan kicks on. Continue to top off the coolant throughout the process.

Done!

poorman212 08-31-2010 04:22 PM

And this is the housing where the lower hose connects, not the upper hose..right?

94h22acord 08-31-2010 04:33 PM

just top the system off and run the car with the radiator cap off for about ten minutes