Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/)
-   -   Honda Civic 2002 LX driver side door issues: keyless entry and window (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/honda-civic-2002-lx-driver-side-door-issues-keyless-entry-window-2817251/)

ashu 08-08-2010 02:48 PM

Honda Civic 2002 LX driver side door issues: keyless entry and window

Hi,

My Honda Civic 2002 is having some issues related to driver side door. The doors doesn't get locked through keyless entry and I've to use the key to lock/unlock it. When standing near the driver side and activating the un/lock via remote,it seems that parking lights flash. Also, I'm finding it difficult to un/lock using the manual locking lever. The passenger side door is fine and I can use manual locking lever on it.

2. The next day after the lock/unlock issue happened, the driver side window started giving trouble while trying to roll up all the way. The window was rolling down perfectly but while rolling up, it appeared as if it is getting jammed somewhere. Then, after some time, it rolled all the way up.

Can someone advise if this is a lube issue as it has started happening on driver side door only? If someone has experienced the same symptoms before with their car, and the issue got resolved, please let me know.

And any idea on how much money I've to shell out to have this get fixed by a mechanic.

Thanks

It Wasn't Me 08-08-2010 09:15 PM

Re: Honda Civic 2002 LX driver side door issues: keyless entry and window

Typical symptoms of a door lock actuator that has gone bad and needs to be replaced. However, if it's also difficult to lock/unlock using the key, the lock assembly might need to be replaced. How long has it been since you had to use the key? Try spraying some lube in the lock, as well as on the cylinder once the door panel is off.

Taking it to a mechanic would cost too much, considering how easy it would be to fix/replace the problematic components. It's possible that something came loose and is in the way. Remove the door panel and take a look. Turn the key and/or press the lock/unlock button and watch the lock mechanism.

While the panel is off, lube the window track. (not the rubber guides)

http://i45.tinypic.com/14nebk7.jpg

ashu 08-08-2010 10:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response but I'm able to use the key to lock/unlock without any issues. I've noticed the following:

1. Remote keyless entry is not working anymore.
2. Able to lock/unlock the car using the key.
3. The controls on driver side work perfectly for passenger's side i.e. able to lock/unlock passenger's side using controls on driver's side.
4. Started seeing an issue with rolling up driver's side window the next day after lock/unlock issue happened.
5. Able to control passenger's side window using button on driver's side.

As my driver's side window is also giving problems along with lock/unlock issue, can it be the issue with door lock actuator or master switch on driver's side has gone bad.

Please advise.

It Wasn't Me 08-08-2010 11:26 PM

I'm able to use the key to lock/unlock without any issues.
That's my bad, I thought you were referring to using the key. I now realize you were talking about the button inside the car, next to the window at the top of the panel. Sounds like the lock assembly is bad.

1. If the actuator is bad, it won't work. The lights will flash but the door will not lock or unlock with the keyless transmitter. The actuator will need to be replaced.
2. :thumbup:
3. If the driver's side door lock is not functioning, but the passenger side is, that is a definite indicator that the driver's door lock actuator is bad. You can test it, but you'll need to remove the door panel to access it. Once you have access to it, disconnect it and apply power directly to it. It's only 2-pins so it's easy to do. Positive (+) to one side and negative (-) to the other. If it doesn't function, replace it.
4. As noted, remove the door panel to see of something has come loose or has broken and is getting caught up in the power window track.
5. :thumbup:

I would not suspect that the master switch is the problem. The power windows and the power door locks are separate functions. They don't share relays, fuses, wires, etc.

machidambw 08-09-2010 12:33 PM

i just bought a used 02 civic lx, came without the keyless entry, so i called the local honda dealer and asked how much it'd cost to get it up & going again on the car, and he told me that its been discontinued for that model, he said that there were too many "fatal" errors with it, so honda just discontinued it as a whole

not sure how true that is, but thats just what i was told :shrug:

Mrlouis 02-04-2012 05:15 PM

2002 2door Honda civic can't lock driver door with key or keyless fob or door button I can hear the actuator click when I press the keyless fob . But nothing happens - passenger side works fine . Key doesn't turn when inserted. Any suggestions - already have the door panel off - but can't see much moving

Allboost18b 02-07-2012 05:26 PM

Check all your fuses.... Also check batteries in the actual keyless keychain.
Another problem is the actuators have recalls on them. Remeber when locking the doors from the driver side the handle needs to be pulled out to the open position THEN locked while pulled out.

If the key doesn't turn then you don't have the correct tumbler combination(wrong key) some keys are only iginition keys for 2002 lx sedans/coupes and rely on the self locking mechanism. Double check the parts you have for auto locks on driverside, a lot of aftermarket acuators die years later.

Wd40 on the key then Placing into the lock will allow renewal of the spring system and might help tough turning keys but wont resolve problems that youre having if the key is ignition only.

One side door problems usually end up being harness problems , or fuse, or bad acuators. Start with the simple and move back, the windows shouldn't have a factor into thr problem ,which to me sounds more like a workng problem or power loss in general to your drivers door.