Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   What is the proper way to set ignition timing? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/what-proper-way-set-ignition-timing-2811710/)

holmesnmanny 07-27-2010 10:35 PM

What is the proper way to set ignition timing?

Can't find anything at all definitive on this. I'm pretty sure that you short the blue two pin connector, then start the car, then set the timing by putting the connector around the number 1 piston wire and using the gun to point down on the flywheel and look for the notch that says 15 which stands for BTDC15 degrees. Then you turn off the car and remove the connector. Can I get any additional detailed information. I think there are different variations. I would like to know what the exact way to do it is.

Also, when resetting the ecu, does that make you need to set timing again? Should you just short the two pin again and restart car then take it out etc etc.? How about if you disconnect the battery.

One thing I noticed is that if you don't short the connector and set the timing, the mark appears to be off when you do short the connector and set the timing.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

MAD_MIKE 07-27-2010 11:02 PM

Re: What is the proper way to set ignition timing?

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny (Post 43146874)
I would like to know what the exact way to do it is.

(With the exception of the CD5 F22, which has the timing marks on the timing belt cover/harmonic balancer.)The timing marks are located behind a plug on the bellhousing. First you start the car up and let it warm up to operating temperature. Usually you just let it idle til the fan comes on. Turn the car off. Jump the blue connector to disable the advance mechanism in the distributor. Turn the car back on, with the timing light hooked up to #1 check with the strobe light that the timing is set to the correct mark. Adjust the distributor if need be. If you cannot adjust to be within specs verify that you are indeed on #1, and the idle speed is correct. If those are correct and you cannot adjust the distributor to match the correct timing, you will need to verify that the cam is correctly phased.

Also, when resetting the ecu, does that make you need to set timing again? Should you just short the two pin again and restart car then take it out etc etc.? How about if you disconnect the battery.

No. Base timing is mechanical it will always be set to whatever it was set to last. The only time you would have to change it is after a distributor replacement, timing belt replacement or any time the cam shaft/distributor was disturbed in relation to the crank angle.

One thing I noticed is that if you don't short the connector and set the timing, the mark appears to be off when you do short the connector and set the timing.

Yes because the timing advance mechanism is working if the blue plug is not jumped. You will need to warm up the engine, and then jump the blue connector thus disabling the advance/retard mechanism in the distributor.

holmesnmanny 07-28-2010 12:38 AM

Re: What is the proper way to set ignition timing?

Cool, thanks mike.