Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   cp piston wrist pin (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/cp-piston-wrist-pin-2751346/)

hondah2b21 03-28-2010 10:34 PM

cp piston wrist pin

hi i was wondering whats the max power made on a standard cp piston wrist pin.

im building a fully built h22 but i forgot to upgrade the wrist pin. i would hate for that to be my down fall on my build.

if this question is in the wrong location i apologize.

Mikey3000 03-29-2010 04:51 AM

Re: cp piston wrist pin

Nobody is going to have an answer that's worth a damn. Your best bet would be to call CP and ask what they're designed to handle.

hatch34 03-29-2010 07:01 AM

a close friend of mine made 700whp on off the shelf CP pistons

narfdanarf 03-29-2010 07:35 AM

when I called CP and asked them they said between 5 and 600, but there are people on this forum making 1000ish on stock wrist pins...I personally have the upgraded ones just for peace of mind.

hondah2b21 03-29-2010 08:40 AM

thanks guys.

my budget is on its final string so i think im just gonna run the standard wrist pin and get the car dialed in. then upgrade when my money back to par. gonna enjoy what i have for now. thanks again.

HybridKOOP 11-25-2011 02:33 PM

for those who have upgraded pins (primarily CP), did you have to hone out the small end of the rod and/or wristpin opening in the piston to add clearance? or did you just run the upgrade .180 wall pin in the standard piston and rod? Thanks!

Lou

gringotegra 11-25-2011 02:40 PM

On all of our engines, we have them Pin fit at the machine shop. Wiesco/JE/CP all of em. You'd be surprised how off some of them are.

ashtons300zx 11-25-2011 02:42 PM

Its usually just a thicker wall pin same outer diameter, inner diameter is smaller and the material is of course stronger. Why not just upgrade pins, its like 75 bucks more to upgrade wrist pins. I ran my standard pins to 650+whp without problems but im not chancing it with the new power goals of 800+, not much money for peace of mind.

cibao2ner 11-25-2011 02:57 PM

yea you always need rods hone at machine shop...they come tight....

HybridKOOP 11-25-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks guys. I was told by some popular vendors on here to just slide them in and run them without pin fitting. Anyone have a spec of what kind of clearance they should have? I'm running CP Pistons with their 9210 upgraded pins. Same outer diameter etc, just a slightly smaller hole in the middle. Thanks.

Lou

zakura R 11-25-2011 04:52 PM

My h2b made last year on 9.1 comp cp piston with stock wrist pin that they came with 831hp at 33psi never had any problem with it I will said that u will have to worry when u start making over 900hp plus just my opinion

carbon fiber coupe 11-25-2011 06:43 PM

i'd just save up the extra 150 and get the upgraded wrist pins

It's just a little piece of mind

boostedeg6-1 11-25-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by hatch34 (Post 42011814)
a close friend of mine made 700whp on off the shelf CP pistons

Hey, I think I know that guy your talking about... Oh wait, that guy was me haha!

I made 700/500 on stock wrist pins revving to 10200-10400 and beat the living hell out of the car, never had any problems. Wrist pins and pistons themselves looked great after 5k miles. Spun a bearing so got a chance to check them!

KStuned 11-27-2011 05:13 PM

The wrist pins will outlast the off-the-shelf CP pistons at that RPM and power level. You'll eventually finds cracks at the base of the skirt. The non-strut design just can't deal with the abuse. The off-the-shelf pistons will last about a full season though... but when you're ready for a piston that really can deal with the abuse, we have these:
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...stonswlogo.jpg

The underside looks like this... it's just an iphone pic but if you look closely you'll see the cracks in the corners of the skirt. Our HD piston has a strutted skirt to keep the skirt from flexing, cracking and collapsing.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...d/IMG_2046.jpg

JJsMotorsports 11-27-2011 05:28 PM

Those are some strong looking pistons Reid!

SPOOLINmatt 11-27-2011 05:36 PM

doesnt really make sense to me why they wouldn't manufacture the shelf version like that. People will still destroy it, but from melting rather than collapse.

HybridKOOP 11-28-2011 06:26 AM

Those pistons look sick. Much beefier.

For those who are wondering about pin fitting, I am sending my pistons, rods, and upgraded CP pins to my machine shop today. I'll let you know the results. I am thinking no change will be necessary as the upgraded pins slide smoothly (if not even looser) into the piston and through the rod than the shelf pins do.

Lou

zakura R 11-28-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Reid@KAIZENSPEED (Post 46423443)
The wrist pins will outlast the off-the-shelf CP pistons at that RPM and power level. You'll eventually finds cracks at the base of the skirt. The non-strut design just can't deal with the abuse. The off-the-shelf pistons will last about a full season though... but when you're ready for a piston that really can deal with the abuse, we have these:
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...stonswlogo.jpg

The underside looks like this... it's just an iphone pic but if you look closely you'll see the cracks in the corners of the skirt. Our HD piston has a strutted skirt to keep the skirt from flexing, cracking and collapsing.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...d/IMG_2046.jpg

Reid are those piston the hd wiseco ??? One 10.1 comp ????

HybridKOOP 12-01-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP (Post 46425645)
Those pistons look sick. Much beefier.

For those who are wondering about pin fitting, I am sending my pistons, rods, and upgraded CP pins to my machine shop today. I'll let you know the results. I am thinking no change will be necessary as the upgraded pins slide smoothly (if not even looser) into the piston and through the rod than the shelf pins do.

Lou

FWIW, and for future searches that bring this thread up... I DID need to pin fit the upgraded CP pins. CP's tech told me that the upgraded pin is more ductile and needs a little "flex" or "give" compared to the standard pin. He suggested .001 to .0012 clearance in the piston hole, and .001 in the small end of the rods bushing (which is what my machine shop did for me.)

Lou

jsilva 01-07-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by boostedeg6-1 (Post 46415270)
Hey, I think I know that guy your talking about... Oh wait, that guy was me haha!

I made 700/500 on stock wrist pins revving to 10200-10400 and beat the living hell out of the car, never had any problems. Wrist pins and pistons themselves looked great after 5k miles. Spun a bearing so got a chance to check them!

That must have been in the motor I bought from you but you never sent me right? The one you scammed me on. Man it either takes stupidity or balls to come on here and still post about the parts that you scammed me on. Im still waiting for my $1500 refund and dont worry I wont forget about it either.

SLIM NOTHING 01-08-2012 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by hondah2b21 (Post 42012819)
thanks guys.

my budget is on its final string so i think im just gonna run the standard wrist pin and get the car dialed in. then upgrade when my money back to par. gonna enjoy what i have for now. thanks again.

dude the upgraded wrist pins for 1000hp+ from ipgparts.com are only $99.

rudebwoy 01-08-2012 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by cibao2ner (Post 46414347)
yea you always need rods hone at machine shop...they come tight....

you DO NOT!!!! need to machine anything to run upgraded Wrist pins. the inside diameter of the upgraded pin is smaller therefore a thicker side wall, outer diameter remains the same as the standard pin. as stated earlier... I can associate it like this say you are running 24.5 slicks on 15" rims, an uprgade would be to run 24.5" slicks on 13" rims would give you bigger side walls without increasing the diameter of the tires. hope this helps.

MikeySpec 01-08-2012 07:35 AM

I went 760ish whp(dynojet) at 30psi for about 20-25 hits(including track+street passes). Then we we went 33 psi at the track once it ripped the wristpin right our of the piston and kabaaaam'd everything. It was CP's 11.5:1 shelf piston.......that was a bad idea.

MR.johnson 01-08-2012 08:16 AM

This is why I'm running diamonds this year.