Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   Best strut/spring combo for smoothest ride (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/best-strut-spring-combo-smoothest-ride-2751207/)

bird00420 03-28-2010 06:18 PM

Best strut/spring combo for smoothest ride

Hey HT, my struts & springs are going out and I'm looking into getting some aftermarket ones. I was wondering what everyone thinks the best strut/spring combo is that gives the SMOOTHEST ride :thumbup:. Im not racing my car around a track or drag racing it or anything like that, so I just want to get something that's going to give me a nice smooth ride.....I know a lot of the aftermarket coilovers can have pretty stiff rides/spring rates :P. I want to get a spring that gives me either a 1/2" or 1" drop. By the way, I have an '89 civic hatch with the B16 swap in it :beer:

Deetz 03-28-2010 06:35 PM

Re: Best strut/spring combo for smoothest ride

I had the same wants as you and went with a "great" combination!

Tokico blue struts

ST coil springs

BiG ChOr!Zo 03-28-2010 06:38 PM

tokico blue with eibach pro kit...!!!

ef yu 03-28-2010 06:41 PM

H&R sport springs are definitely one of the best springs i have ever rode in. felt like the car was at stock height. it was on H&R + stock oem shocks. im sure if you had those springs with any new shocks, it would definitely ride much smooth

scottmog 03-28-2010 06:44 PM

I'm going to try tokico illumina and tein stechs probably next month

1-1.5 inch drop and smoother rates then stock, along with warrentied shocks

Ass$nyper 03-28-2010 07:39 PM

Smoothest will be fresh stock parts.

If you want to lower it and smooth, well you can but it'll be rougher it's that simple. But you can prevent harsh. Some Eibach springs with a rather sane rate and some koni reds bilstiens and you'll be firmer but not rough.

Your tires and bushings are also a major player in ride quality just remember that as well :)

alx_90ef 03-28-2010 09:03 PM

complete suspension over haul

builthatch 03-28-2010 09:05 PM

eibach pro-kit (progressive rate) and koni dampers.

bird00420 03-29-2010 06:01 AM

Thanks for all the input guys!!! I really appreciate it :thumbup: I've been looking at the tokico HP struts and the eibach pro-kit.....but may check out the koni's & billstein's :beer:

acmoc 03-29-2010 07:12 AM

What about koni ground controls?
aren't those s'pose to be the best?

builthatch 03-29-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by acmoc (Post 42011915)
What about...ground controls?
aren't those s'pose to be the best?

if you need height adjustment for corner weighting, yes.

ground control could be used for the OP's purpose if care is taken by ground control to use a rate similar to the progressive rate that a pro-kit would have. i'm saying, ground control uses eibach springs exclusively, but they don't necessarily use the rates that eibach R&Dd for their pro-kit apps. they use their own rates.

miguey310 03-30-2010 05:49 PM

How bout eibach pro-kit stocks with Tokico blue struts ???

builthatch 03-30-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by miguey310 (Post 42030969)
How bout eibach pro-kit stocks with Tokico blue struts ???

sure, if you please.

eibach pro-kit is engineered around the stock damper so a damper like that would work fine.

96hb 03-30-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo (Post 42007559)
tokico blue with eibach pro kit...!!!

THIS. I used to have Pro Kits on my old 93 coupe with stock shocks and it rode soooo nice. You don't get much drop, but you aren't looking for much.

STOCK_SOHC_DX 03-30-2010 07:07 PM

If you love your car don't run Blues. Koni/pro kit or of course Koni/GC.

99SIFry 04-01-2010 10:58 AM

I will vouch for Pro kit. Mild Drop but rides similar to stock.

Have them on both:
My teggi w/KYB AGX
My SI w/Koni Yellow

Ride/Look Great both cars. :)

BiG ChOr!Zo 04-01-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX (Post 42031700)
If you love your car don't run Blues.

so this is based on what theory:|

96hb 04-01-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX (Post 42031700)
If you love your car don't run Blues. Koni/pro kit or of course Koni/GC.

While Koni's are great, you don't need them to run pro kits. Hell you don't need anything other than OEM shocks to run the pro kits. I ran them on my old coupe for years on stock shocks with no problems whatsoever.

phillyd 04-01-2010 01:33 PM

Eibach Pro versus Eibach Sportline...the sportlines are ~.5" lower. Can anyone say if there is a noticeable difference in the ride quality? I'd like the extra drop, but not if the ride sucks. These will probably be paired with Tokico Blues. Like the thread title says, I am going for a smooth ride...ie not a track monster.

phunhaus 04-01-2010 01:57 PM

Fro a smooth ride it's the type of spring more than the manufacturer of the spring.

Look into any spring that's a Progressive rate rather than a fixed rate. That can be Eibach, H&R, Neuspeed (if they still exist), etc. From there decide budget, quality, and name brand but first find out what options there are.

I've run Nuespeed springs in the past and am running an H&R Progressive rate coilover. I love the coilovers but they're pricey. My Nuespeeds were fine for what they were - lowering springs ten years ago.

builthatch 04-01-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by phillyd (Post 42051160)
Eibach Pro versus Eibach Sportline...the sportlines are ~.5" lower. Can anyone say if there is a noticeable difference in the ride quality? I'd like the extra drop, but not if the ride sucks. These will probably be paired with Tokico Blues. Like the thread title says, I am going for a smooth ride...ie not a track monster.

hmm, depends on the fitment, really. eibach uses progressive springs for their pro-kits as often as possible and i've yet to encounter a pro-kit i've not liked!

sportlines tend to be noticeably firmer, but the overall ride...it depends on the damper, really. i think a good damper and sportlines, all aligned properly, ride way better than alot of the "street" coilovers out there.

fyi eibach makes something called the pro-system - eibach dampers and springs

i love eibach shit. it's so easy to just plug the stuff in and it works.

Tyson 04-01-2010 04:05 PM

illuminas and prokit.

a better quality shock will provide better comfort. its more important than springs.

eibach sportlines are noticably much stiffer than pro kits. they have to be in order to allow a lower drop.

and eliminate all play from suspension and steering. [this is the big key to a good ride]

ej888 04-01-2010 04:14 PM

I just bought the "Eibach Pro System", which comes with the Eibach Pro springs and Eibach Pro dampers. Not many people here talk about their dampers so hopefully I made the right choice. Installing this Saturday.

STOCK_SOHC_DX 04-01-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo (Post 42050718)
so this is based on what theory:|

The "I have owned a set theory"

Originally Posted by 96hb (Post 42050763)
While Koni's are great, you don't need them to run pro kits. Hell you don't need anything other than OEM shocks to run the pro kits. I ran them on my old coupe for years on stock shocks with no problems whatsoever.

You should have dyno'ed those shocks after those years of use. Blues don't work well with anything more than stock springs. When they do blow with any type of drop springs go ahead and try to collect on that limited lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by ej888 (Post 42052613)
I just bought the "Eibach Pro System", which comes with the Eibach Pro springs and Eibach Pro dampers. Not many people here talk about their dampers so hopefully I made the right choice. Installing this Saturday.

These will most likely work good considering they were engineered for the drop.

builthatch 04-01-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ej888 (Post 42052613)

you made a solid choice my friend. eibach dampers (i believe) are made by sachs, and sachs makes very solid stuff.

as the hawaiian said, you will find that the dampers are valved perfectly for the pro-kit. now, keep in mind pro-kits are engineered around new OE dampers, so i can't speak on the total valving difference between OE dampers and the eibach units, but i'm sure it's dialed ; )

feedback welcomed.