Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   how do i tell if my ecu is bad? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-do-i-tell-if-my-ecu-bad-2734143/)

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 04:11 PM

how do i tell if my ecu is bad?

hey guys i think my ecu might be shot when im on the free way going about 60 mph rpm at 3 i start getting alot of miss fires. only when i smash on the gas does it over come the bogging down feeling then after that if i hold the gas steady it will bogg down again i have to keep smashing on the gas... im not getting any check engine light

im guessing its my ecu but i wanna be for sure before i drop that kind of cash on a new one. and no i dont realy have anyone i know with a p72 ecu so just swaping in another one is not realy an option

please help guys

romierome 02-25-2010 04:21 PM

Re: how do i tell if my ecu is bad?

it might be your distributor thats close to going out already.
had the same problem on my crx and didnt fix it so my distributor went COMPLETELY out and now my car wont start at all

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by romierome (Post 41698727)
it might be your distributor thats close to going out already.
had the same problem on my crx and didnt fix it so my distributor went COMPLETELY out and now my car wont start at all

how do i test/tell if its my distributor?

~sp33~ 02-25-2010 04:37 PM

You'd be having more severe problems if your ECU was fried.

If your spark plugs aren't foul, i'd try a spare distributor to see if it clears the issue.

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 04:51 PM

hmm.. i dont have a spare distributor there has got to be a way to test it

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 04:55 PM

besides the cap or rotor what else can go bad its mostly mech. isnt it? what would cause it to go bad

chivid 02-25-2010 04:58 PM

if the car doesn't go over 3000 rpm its usually the distributor going out.the crank position causes this affect and most of the time it won't throw a code. you can take the distrbutor to your local shop who knows how to test your distributor.

miguey310 02-25-2010 05:08 PM

check the coil they get messed up fast

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by chivid (Post 41699151)
if the car doesn't go over 3000 rpm its usually the distributor going out.the crank position causes this affect and most of the time it won't throw a code. you can take the distrbutor to your local shop who knows how to test your distributor.

it does go over 3000 rpm thats just the rpm when it starts to mess up at

chivid 02-25-2010 05:35 PM

oh , thats really is weird.. well i still get the distributor checked out. theres no guessing in diagnosting a problem . gotta test out the possible problems.

fenix4o9 02-25-2010 06:28 PM

could it be cam position sensor ?

miguey310 02-25-2010 09:48 PM

coil

SouthMSDelSol 08-25-2010 02:37 PM

if your having problems with it hitting a rev limiter type effect it could be the ect sensor(engine coolant temp) my delsol was doin it and that helped but the ecu on mine just went so hope this helped some

hondawhiz 08-25-2010 03:03 PM

the cam position sensor is inside the distributor. honestly get another dizzy at the junk yard and try it out.

ef_cowboy 08-25-2010 06:48 PM

i had that same problem when i put my car together.i took of the cap and off and the contact points had shit all over them.so i took a file and cleaned it up,ran like a champ...them i just got a new one cuz there so cheap

CRXguy_88 08-26-2010 07:37 AM

IT IS YOUR DIZZY.. you had an internal sensor go out most likely. I would say its the crank position sensor it envolves the first cylinder and messes with the first fuel injector and everything is thrown off.. causing it to bog. I would just get a new dizzy. I had the same thing when I put an a6 in my crx. It bogged real bad and I had a used dizzy from ebay on it ($45) and I went and bought a brand new (130) one from advance auto parts and viola problem solved! good luck! :thumbsup:

Cameron R 08-26-2010 07:52 AM

Get a copy of the FSM and check the resistance for the three sensors in the dizzy, all you need is an ohmeter. If problems occur when the engine is hot, then test the dizzy under those same circumstances.

The last owner of my car through parts at the same sort of problem (ECU, wire, plugs) turned out to be bad cap/rotor, and dizzy in my case.