Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   EJ - Rotor Stuck in Distributor (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/ej-rotor-stuck-distributor-2733351/)

Scooby9 02-24-2010 09:53 AM

EJ - Rotor Stuck in Distributor

Hi,
I have a 94 Civic EX coupe, and it won't start. The rotor looks worn so i'm trying to replace it, but it won't come off. It doesn't look like it screws off. Is there a special trick, or is it stuck?

andoxviii 02-24-2010 09:55 AM

Re: EJ - Rotor Stuck in Distributor

There is a screw holding it in lol...don't pull too hard before removing the screw, you are going to break something.

andoxviii 02-24-2010 09:59 AM

The screw may be hiding underneath, unaccessible.

If it is a manual transmission, put the car in reverse gear and leave the ebrake handle down. Rock the car back and forth by pushing on something (while the hood is open, push on the strut towers). You will see the rotor slowly start to turn. Stop rocking the car when the screw is visible.

talonboy1991 02-24-2010 10:01 AM

Yes there is a screw on the side but just try to use vice grips to get it out bc they strip extremely easy if you don't have the perfect screwdriver so just clamp vise grips on it then twist it to break it loose then use screwdriver

Anon51 02-24-2010 10:08 AM

leaving the cap off. get someone to watch the rotor. while you crank the car one crank at a time. like turn the key real quick and let go. they should see the key when the metal of the rotor is aimed downward. use an impact screw driver and unscrew it. if it strips the screw head. dremel it or hack saw.

Scooby9 02-24-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by andoxviii (Post 41682356)
The screw may be hiding underneath, unaccessible.

If it is a manual transmission, put the car in reverse gear and leave the ebrake handle down. Rock the car back and forth by pushing on something (while the hood is open, push on the strut towers). You will see the rotor slowly start to turn. Stop rocking the car when the screw is visible.

Surprisingly enough, the rotor is turning. But what am I looking for?

andoxviii 02-24-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby9 (Post 41682511)
Surprisingly enough, the rotor is turning. But what am I looking for?

Yeah it's cool ;)

You will see a screw visible on the shaft of the rotor. When it is visible, you are able to get a screwdriver on it and remove it. Once it is removed, the rotor will come off, as well.

Scooby9 02-24-2010 10:18 AM

I found the screw when the rotor pointed down, but I don't have a torque wrench. Any other suggestions.

Linked 02-24-2010 10:28 AM

with the dizzy cap OFF, crank the engine QUICKLY, the rotor will rotate around so you can access the screw from the top

i did it this exact way, had to replace an ignition coil, maybe you might need the same ! GL

Meoshe 02-24-2010 10:38 AM

Usually when you buy a new rotor they come with a new screw

Linked 02-24-2010 10:38 AM

did you strip it or something? i got mine off with a strong flathead and some force, an impact screwdriver is the easy way, but you can get it off

andoxviii 02-24-2010 10:41 AM

I got mine off with a Philips screwdriver and some force.

Linked 02-24-2010 10:47 AM

:D

madmidwest_ej8 02-24-2010 11:50 AM

some just pop right off after unscrewing it others u have to use some force